• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Park Avenues HURT

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this normal? They fit properly, both length and width.

What hurts is when my foot is back while walking and the shoe is bent. The crease lines up with the end of the upper stitching(right below laces) and it jabs the top of my foot. I've only worn them a handful of times but it hasn't seemed to be getting better.

Thoughts? Probably gonna try some lexol right on the crease.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use shoe trees, don't wear them every day and wear them a couple more times before giving up, they might soften up.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Use shoe trees, don't wear them every day and wear them a couple more times before giving up, they might soften up.

They've never been idle without shoe trees. I'm sure they'll loosen up eventually, just curious if this is normal.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Mine hurt similarly initially. After a few wearings, it stopped, and they're quite comfortable now.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laer Surtep
You are definately wearing the wrong size. Did you buy these from an AE store or on ebay and tried to guess your size?
Never buy a used shoe. Even if it was from your twin brother it's not going to fit properly because once another person and used them with their unique walk they are useless to you and ruined. Unless a shoe is new AND fits perfectly it is worth 0. I don't care how good or expensive it originally was.

They were new, bought in store, measured and tried out.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The leather there will soften up as you wear them more. The Laer guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

cturner

Reaction score
Same thing happened with my AE 5th Aves. They become perfectly comfortable after 5-10 wears. Don't worry about the fit, I'm sure it's fine.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are definately wearing the wrong size. Did you buy these from an AE store or on ebay and tried to guess your size? Never buy a used shoe. Even if it was from your twin brother it's not going to fit properly because once another person and used them with their unique walk they are useless to you and ruined. Unless a shoe is new AND fits perfectly it is worth 0. I don't care how good or expensive it originally was.
rotflmao.gif

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, in this instance, the reason they stop hurting is not usually because the soften, but because your foot has developed a callous or calloused skin where the damage is. You may wish to look for other shoes that fit perfect (as nearly as they can) off the bat.

Speaking from experience.

ns7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
Is this normal? They fit properly, both length and width.

What hurts is when my foot is back while walking and the shoe is bent. The crease lines up with the end of the upper stitching(right below laces) and it jabs the top of my foot. I've only worn them a handful of times but it hasn't seemed to be getting better.

Thoughts? Probably gonna try some lexol right on the crease.

What color? I've found the black AE leather is tougher than the brown variants. Also, where is the crease breaking? If it's over the ball, then you're probably okay and the leather will soften up. If it's pinching your toes then I'd be worried that it won't get better.

greyinla

Reaction score
What hurts is when my foot is back while walking and the shoe is bent. The crease lines up with the end of the upper stitching(right below laces) and it jabs the top of my foot.

I do hope the shoes work out for you, but it's possible they don't really fit. (PA, BTW, is on a long narrow last that not everyone can wear.) Just because the volume of your foot rests comfortably in the shoe when not moving doesn't mean it's a good fit. The way it flexes when you walk also matters. You might actually need more length, or the volume in the toebox might be too great or too small, or the ball length of your foot might not line up w/ that of the shoe, even if the length and width measurements seem right. Given that difference between widths in AE is about 3/16" inch in total girth, even a having the shoe off by a small amount can make a big difference in how it feels when you walk. Even shoes that fit fine in a climate-controlled store in the morning might hurt like hell after your feet swell up in the pm.

theEnd

Reaction score
I cant remember if I have the Park Avenues or the 5th Avenues, but after about 6 months they do hurt when I walk more than a couple of blocks. Its more of an issue with my right foot. Mine were bought in the Madison Avenue store after getting my size checked and trying a couple of different sizes.

AE's are nice but I wont be buying another one. The brand is a good stepping stone into the world of higher quality shoes.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know my exact size, instep and width and it was exactly what he said after measuring me.

Why were you asking to be measured if you already know your size?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It happened to me. I went back to the store and exchanged my 9.5Ds for 10Es.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads