• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Park Avenue: Sizing up width from 11C to 11D or 10.5D?

thereverend

Reaction score
Hello, I found a couple pairs of Park Avenues for a good price and I am wondering if I can size up the width comfortably. I am new to this whole game and just received my first pair of AE Drydens in 11C, which fit me perfectly and are pretty sweet.

Is there a huge appreciable difference between C and D that should keep me from getting a deal?

Should I consider going down to 10.5D instead of 11D?

Or should I just pay full price for the 11C?

Thanks!

LeicaLad

Reaction score
You need to provide more info on that "perfect " fit at 11C. If the length is perfect, then going shorter will be a problem. But if you've got play, then you can shift. Then, again, if you're really between a "B" and "C" width, then going to "D" might be huge.

My feet go the other way. I was usually wearing a 10.5E, but found that their 10EEE fit even better. But that's my feet, not yours.

Ask about a return option. Then you can try 'em on to find out for sure!

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another data point here. I wear Drydens in 10.5D and they fit pretty much perfectly. I wear PA's in 10D. Last no. 5 which the PA is on really is longer and narrower than other AE lasts. You might be fine with a 10.5C. Obviously YMMV, everyone's foot is different etc.

thereverend

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeicaLad
You need to provide more info on that "perfect " fit at 11C. If the length is perfect, then going shorter will be a problem. But if you've got play, then you can shift. Then, again, if you're really between a "B" and "C" width, then going to "D" might be huge.

My feet go the other way. I was usually wearing a 10.5E, but found that their 10EEE fit even better. But that's my feet, not yours.

Ask about a return option. Then you can try 'em on to find out for sure!

The fit is... like my sock! There really isn't any wiggle room, but there is also no constriction. I might have a bit more room in the toe to play with, but I don't really know if the length of the shoe has a huge bearing on the width. How much wider is a D than a C?

yawn123_#21

Reaction score
How does it fit in the heel. C's imo are too small for you. I think D's would be a better fit, unless you have a narrow heel. you could always get tongue pads or something tho. When you walk more your feet will swell up a bit. A D will give you more breathing room and space for your feet as long as your heels won't be slippin out. do u have other shoes? and what sizes do u wear in those shoes?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Park Avenue is on the #5 last, which is a good fit on my feet in my normal size. Some men do not find this to be the case, but I do. The Dryden is on the #2 last, which is not a good fit on my feet, period. Everybody's feet are a little different. Some men have posted that they love the old #4 last but don't like the #5 last. I like both, and so it goes....

Park Avenues are pretty widely available. Can't you try on a pair and see if it's a good fit on you in your normal size or another size? You may find the #5 last incompatible with your feet, period. It's just one of those things best found out first hand rather than by trying to extrapolate.

thereverend

Reaction score
My biggest concern is not destroying the Nordstrom salesman's hope of selling a $325 shoe, and not wasting his time by telling him I just need a fit... what would you do in that sort of situation?

SenorMatador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thereverend
My biggest concern is not destroying the Nordstrom salesman's hope of selling a $325 shoe, and not wasting his time by telling him I just need a fit... what would you do in that sort of situation?
Not give a crap and try on the shoe. Part of the "shoe-buying" process is trying on shoes to see if they fit. Why does it matter what he thinks? They're paid to help.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thereverend

Assuage your guilt by going at off hours when business is slow, tell a white lie by saying you don't think the last is right for you, even if the fit is excellent, and compensate the poor guy for his time by buying a couple of tubes of shoe polish or other cleaning supplies you use, e.g., a shoe brush.

HATORI HANZO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SenorMatador
Not give a crap and try on the shoe. Part of the "shoe-buying" process is trying on shoes to see if they fit.

Why does it matter what he thinks? They're paid to help.

We work on Commission. We are are not payed unless you buy. Some guys come in try on shoes buy nothing then wonder why we have attitudes. It's because they just wasted are time. Tell the salesman your intentions.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
Another data point here. I wear Drydens in 10.5D and they fit pretty much perfectly. I wear PA's in 10D. Last no. 5 which the PA is on really is longer and narrower than other AE lasts. You might be fine with a 10.5C. Obviously YMMV, everyone's foot is different etc.

Interesting. I wear a 10D in the PA. I bought a pair of Drydens off the ebay store in 9.5 D after reading on Zappos that they run large. The 9.5 fit great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics