• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Park Avenue in Merlot/Burgundy

Bear

Reaction score
So the title of the thread is about Allen Edmonds but I will start of talking about Alden...

Love the Alden Color 8. Really like the cap toe boot and given the money, would probably get it.

However, my AE Park Ave's in black are probably my favorite shoe - best fitting, mirror shine, the whole nine yards...love it.

So I was thinking of a little cheaper option to maybe get the shoe I already love and own - but in Merlot/Burgundy.

My questions are:
  1. How does AE's burgundy color compare to Alden's Color 8?
  2. Anyone have any pictures of their own AE Merlot Park Ave's? I haven't seen many - all are in black (which again, I can not say enough about)
  3. Can anyone maybe even post them side by side? Both shined up?
  4. Any comments from anyone who owns both?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

facet

Reaction score

So the title of the thread is about Allen Edmonds but I will start of talking about Alden...

Love the Alden Color 8.  Really like the cap toe boot and given the money, would probably get it.

However, my AE Park Ave's in black are probably my favorite shoe - best fitting, mirror shine, the whole nine yards...love it.

So I was thinking of a little cheaper option to maybe get the shoe I already love and own - but in Merlot/Burgundy.

My questions are:
  1. How does AE's burgundy color compare to Alden's Color 8?
  2. Anyone have any pictures of their own AE Merlot Park Ave's?  I haven't seen many - all are in black (which again, I can not say enough about)
  3. Can anyone maybe even post them side by side?  Both shined up? 
  4. Any comments from anyone who owns both?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

1. There are a couple threads that compare the two colours with pics:

styleforum

askandy

I don't have any Aldens, just the PA in merlot. I honestly love the colour and couldn't care less that there may be another shoe that has a deeper shade of purple/possibly shinier finish/slightly less reddish hue. Unless you're walking side by side, in tandem, and synchronized step, with an Alden Color 8 shoe owner, I can't really see how it would matter much. This is assuming that colour is the only, or main, thing you're concerned with. If you're already happy with your PA's in black, then I see no reason why you wouldn't be equally happy with them in merlot. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Bear

Reaction score
Thanks facet - those links show me the difference between Color 8 and Burgundy for Alden/AE shell. I appreciate the help.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's shell vs calf. The color is only part of it.

GiorgioHilfiger

Reaction score
Here's couple of photos of my merlot PA's, with other shoes for comparison and such;

- Park Avenue in black
- Presidio in merlot
- Evanston in walnut and
- Park Avenue in merlot

I like the color very much.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I have both the black and the merlot. I like em both quite a bit...although the black rarely gets worn anymore. I have a couple pics on my laptop at home ill post...they take a great shine.

Bear

Reaction score
Here's couple of photos of my merlot PA's, with other shoes for comparison and such;
- Park Avenue in black
- Presidio in merlot
- Evanston in walnut and
- Park Avenue in merlot

I like the color very much.

Thanks for the Pic!

However, this is exactly why I posted this thread. The merlot PA's look almost brown to me - very much on the brown side as opposed to the true burgundy I was hoping for.

Maybe it is just me!?!

Bear

Reaction score
Thanks for the post Giorigi and the pics.

However, the merlot PAs look almost brown to me - very much on the brown side as opposed to the burgundy I was hoping for.

Maybe it is just me!?!

Bear

Reaction score
I have both the black and the merlot. I like em both quite a bit...although the black rarely gets worn anymore. I have a couple pics on my laptop at home ill post...they take a great shine.

Thanks Derek, would love to see them!

Giorgio's pics are great, but they look almost on the brown side to me!?!

Bear

Reaction score
Thanks Giorgio for the pics.

However, they look almost brown to me - very much on the brown side.

Maybe it is just me!?!

Bear

Reaction score

Thanks Derek!

Would love to see the pics! Especially shined up!

Bear

Reaction score
Derek - would love to see the pics! Especially shined up!

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread! I ordered a pair of of park avenues in merlot a few days ago, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the color looks like in person.

GiorgioHilfiger

Reaction score
Here is another photo taken outside with a flash, however the color is quite hard to capture..

It is definitely burgundy, right amount in my opinion but it depends what you are looking for. I have not had any shell cordovan so cannot compare.

I like that these do not look too red, more of a dark brown with deep purple shade or something...

facet

Reaction score

Thanks for the Pic!

However, this is exactly why I posted this thread.  The merlot PA's look almost brown to me - very much on the brown side as opposed to the true burgundy I was hoping for.

Maybe it is just me!?!

No, it's just the lighting. It have to be a very blind or inebriated person to mistake merlot PA's for brown in normal light. That being said, you would likely have the same problem with the Alden Colour 8 given the apparent and relative similarities of the two colours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads