• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Park Avenue in Black - what is the "appropriate" formality to pair with them?

Jay687

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some AE and thought black PAs were a good choice. My others were going to be Merlot fifth avenue and bourbon strands. I like the 3 color choices and that each is a different style.

However, I want to make sure the PAs aren't too formal. I do always wear a jacket and a tie but not always a suit. I suspect that's still fine?

Any thoughts?

For 3 pair of shoes, are my choices versatile? If I get a fourth (probably dark brown) what should I get? I was thinking maybe a dress boot? Or monk straps? Not sure.

Any help appreciated.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, bottom line is you need to have a pair of black shoes. And if you only have one pair of black shoes, then Park Aves are the way to go. Don’t wear them with jeans though. :)
Your three choices sound spot on.

Patek14

Reaction score
you are picking many colors in the dress shoe rainbow so this is all fine. i suppose the real question is, are you waiting for a big sale or dropping full retail...

Jay687

Reaction score
you are picking many colors in the dress shoe rainbow so this is all fine. i suppose the real question is, are you waiting for a big sale or dropping full retail...

The black PAs still good with jacket and tie? I don't wear suits too often so will mostly wear it like that.

And hoping to rotate between each pretty evenly.

Willing to wait to buy... when are sales generally?

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may not have noticed there is a dedicated AE thread and it is quite active. I’m sure you will get plenty of responses there.

Patek14

Reaction score
The black PAs still good with jacket and tie? I don't wear suits too often so will mostly wear it like that.

And hoping to rotate between each pretty evenly.

Willing to wait to buy... when are sales generally?

• Black captoe oxfords are generally good with most business attires. Suit and tie, suit no tie, sportcoat, slacks/shirt only.
  • I have no idea when sales are, but AE are not worth anything close to $425 MSRP. There are better deals/values with entry level and mid level english makes.
  • The biggest advantage of AE is the multitude of width sizing and they make plenty of burgundy. This is not something the english do well.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Black oxfords are great with gray and navy suits. With sport coats, I’d go with the other shoe colors. I’ll occasionally wear black shoes with a navy blazer and gray trousers if I don’t have any other warm colors in the outfit

For example, I wore black penny loafers with this:
8D088A59-EC86-4A63-9A9A-AB6D594F246E.jpeg
but generally brown > black in such cases, and when I do wear black, it is often for the sake of variety.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads