AE Park Ave - Walnut Pebble Grain

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kmcq, Aug 10, 2011.

1. kmcq

kmcq Member

I have the chance to buy these at what I think is a very good price. I'm undecided, though, because I can't decide what type of shoe this is. The grain makes the shoe significantly less formal, I think. Do folks wear these with nice pant, or even chinos? Denim, dare I ask?

2. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

Walnut pebble grain? Interesting. If the price is good then scoop them up to wear casually, as you've suggested. I'd darken them as much as I could by putting dark polish on them every couple of weeks until the color stayed.

3. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

I am in the minority and think that pebble can be worn for the every day, but I certainly would not wear them meeting with your board or clients. Wear them with a pair of mid grey POW pants and let the blue pattern of the pant contrast against the color of the shoes.

4. kmcq

kmcq Member

5. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

Bizarre. I actually don't like them.... but I'm sure you could do something with them if, like I said, you will adjust the color.

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

A captoed balmoral in pebble grain?.....this would be an odd and contradicting creation.
    OP, heads up...your thread title states (incorrectly) 'Walnut PEBBLE Grain'. Please be aware that this is not the same as 'Walnut Grain'.
    As far as a plain Walnut finish, they seem nice enough but burgundy would be far more useful.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  7. kmcq

kmcq Member

Indeed, I mistyped. Still, I think it is an odd shoe. For what purpose was such a shoe created?

8. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I had these and I didn't like them, so I ended up selling them on B&S here. Same thing happened to me, I found them at a really great price and got them without really thinking it through. If you can't think of an outfit you would wear them with, then don't get them.

9. kmcq

kmcq Member

Thank you for sharing your experience. I think that I would have come to the same conclusion. I hoped someone here may have been able to convince me of a good use for these. I have three shoes I'd like to buy on a modest budget, but I won't buy these just because they are a good deal.

10. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Good thinking. I wasted way too much money in the past buying things just because they were a good deal, and a lot of it ended up getting flipped here. I don't buy anything anymore unless I know I'm going to get a lot of use out of it, and I'd rather pay more for a staple item then get a good deal on something that I won't wear.

11. Sonny58

Sonny58 Senior member

I have these shoes and really like them. :embar: They work well with more casual outfits, even chinos or denim. Maybe not the best choice if you're limited to a small number of shoes but they are versatile, IMHO.

[​IMG]

12. dks202

dks202 Senior member

Pretty good shoes with khakis or jeans. The surface reminds me of of a football.

13. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

If you're looking for three pairs of shoes on a budget, I don't think these should be among them. I think they could be worked into the wardrobe of someone who wears suits and sportcoats/dress pants more often than you do. But, as you suspect and others have agreed, it isn't a good option as a "go to" dress shoe. I disagree with the others who say it is a good shoe for chinos and and jeans; the texture might work, but the closed laces makes them too dressy for chinos/jeans to my eye.

14. hrb

hrb Senior member

FWIW, i bought a pair of these for my father. Was initially reluctant, but in person,the grain is, unlike many others (pebble and otherwise,) quite subtle. The shoe looks just fine with his work wardrobe of suits/sportscoats. If you are limited to 3 pairs of shoes, that shoe is not the wisest investment, but it certainly works with more formal work attire.