• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE:Park Ave :: C&J:???

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have somehow come into the predicament of having all too many brown shoes and not enough black ones. The black ones I have are overused and dying a slow death. Need 2 upgrade.

What is the staple/sleek yet conservative C&J equivalent of the PAs from AE? My only pair of C&Js right now is a brown Hallam in 348 I believe. Perhaps something a touch more conservative in black? If it were available from Pediwear that would be a plus - not looking for the handgrade line either but one of the less expensive models. Thanks.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I bought the Connaught and found it a little too fuddy duddy, then got the Hallam which I sold because of the awkward shape of the toe. Now I have the Boswell (now discontinued) and am perfectly happy. I am thinking of getting the Prestwood though it is on 348/358 last. Hopefully the tow shape wouldnt be so much of a problem as it is a derby rather than oxford (makes no sense, I know)

So basically I havent found the perfect CJ captoe oxford in the benchgrade line. I bought the Grenson Rose Salisbury in black and they are really nice. A lot of people consider them as good as the CH benchgrades.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ I bought the Connaught and found it a little too fuddy duddy, then got the Hallam which I sold because of the awkward shape of the toe. Now I have the Boswell (now discontinued) and am perfectly happy. I am thinking of getting the Prestwood though it is on 348/358 last. Hopefully the tow shape wouldnt be so much of a problem as it is a derby rather than oxford (makes no sense, I know)

So basically I havent found the perfect CJ captoe oxford in the benchgrade line. I bought the Grenson Rose Salisbury in black and they are really nice. A lot of people consider them as good as the CH benchgrades.

Yes, I am trying to find something with in-between fuddy-duddiness. Perhaps a last in between the 348 and the Connaught last? Of course, if there is a maker in the same class as C&J and at a similar price point ($300s USD online), I'd be more than willing to jump ship. I assume your Grensons were pricier?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I bought them from clintof on B&S for 100 GBP shipped. It was one the best deal on a pair of shoes I have ever got along with the CJ (for RL) that Ed sold to me for 175 USD shipped. So I have had great luck with shoes at B&S

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a benchgrade, but if you have a limited range of black shoes and want the perfect all-occsassion captoe then it's worth the incremental bump in price to the C&J Audley.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
I bought the Grenson Rose Salisbury in black and they are really nice. A lot of people consider them as good as the CH benchgrades.

Totally agree they are def as good as C&J Bench Grades just a shame the Rose line is so limited
frown.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno guys, they look kinda bulbous on the pediwear site. Is this a busted picture? (The Salisburies)
1552shoes_asalisbury.jpg

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Nice shape. Toe box is not as strangely deep/tall as it appears in my pic, is it? That's what primarily contributed to my blobby comment, though I can't tell from your pic aj. Thanks.

Also a much better price than the Audley (for good reason I am sure). I am still more comfortable spending $350 on shoes than $500+. The Manhattan pavement doesn't do much to preserve them.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ This is not my pic. If you want I can take a pic of the actual black shoes. But you will have to wait till tomorrow.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Metro, you are asking for the wrong brand. What you want (read, need) is the EG Chelsea.
img55793432.jpg
img55793421.jpg
img55793427.jpg
mid.jpg
eg_chelsea_808_burgundy_2.jpg

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I doubt I can get those for under $500.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd say the Bedford is closer to the Park Avenue. Less elongated than the Hallam.

bedford.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads