1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

AE or Alden shoe types

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by yanks2182, May 10, 2005.

1. yanks2182

yanks2182 Senior member

As I stated in a prior post I work in Finance, so my business dress is rather conservative. I was hoping some of you can recommend specific AE or Alden shoe models that you like.

2. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Allen Edmonds Park Avenue: [​IMG] and Byron [​IMG] Alden cordovan wingtip: [​IMG] Alden perf cap at Brooks (Edit: really a semi-brogue): [​IMG] Keep in mind, of course, all of the above are very conservative shoes, but would always be "right" in a conservative business environment.

3. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I'll go with everything AlanC said. Just keep in mind that both Alden and AE have a number of cap-toe and wing-tip variations, in a number of lasts (the shoeform that the shoe built on), so you can just try a few on until you get one that fits best for you. Both brands have a substantial number of widths for each size length (especially the Park Avenue), so that you can fiddle around until you get a good fit.

Also, you might want to try some bluchers (open laced shoes such as the AE Colton or MacNeil), if you have a hard time fitting into the closed laced shoes above. They're sometimes easier to fit.

4. yanks2182

yanks2182 Senior member

What do you mean by open laced? What is the main difference between AE and Alden?

5. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

This would be open-laced - compare the lacing style with the Park Avenue above. Â [​IMG]

6. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Open-laced Alden blucher from Brooks: [​IMG] Open-laced shoes ("blucher" or "derby") are generally considered less formal than closed-lace shoes ("oxfords"). Bluchers do provide a better fit for some. Alden is generally viewed to be slightly better quality than Allen Edmonds, although most would agree the quality is similar. Allen Edmonds can generally be found on discount more easily.

7. yanks2182

yanks2182 Senior member

Where are AE's generally discounted?

8. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

AEs are more widely distributed with a lot more shoes produced, so more filter down to discount shelves.

Aldens tend to be sold more at specialty stores that rarely discount.

9. yanks2182

yanks2182 Senior member

The park avenue in that color looks like a beautiful shoe.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

For picking up Allen-Edmonds at good prices, try Nordstrom's sales if you are anywhere near a Nordstrom, especially the anniversary sales that start in late July. If you live anywhere near an Allen-Edmonds factory outlet, you can buy "seconds" (shoes with tiny, usually imperceptible, flaws) very cheaply. I have bought the Park Avenue for as little as $159, the Byron for $149. Once you know your appropriate sizes and lasts, I believe the outlets can ship you shoes.

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The DC-area Nordstroms for some reason no longer discount the Park Avenue during their sales.  They do discount other select AE models, however.  AE stores occasionally have modest (10% off) sales.  I have seen a lot of the now-discontinued Lexington model at Filene's Basement.

12. Associate

Associate Senior member

I always had a problem with the Park Avenue owing to its rather smallish cap. I think it looks disproportional. Anybody agrees?

13. yanks2182

yanks2182 Senior member

What exactly is a shoe last?

14. yanks2182

yanks2182 Senior member

Do others have favorites as far as specific models for these shoes?

15. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I own the Alden wingtip in cordovan, but it is, in my opinion, one hella boring old man shoe. Â Check out the Franco site. Â In particular, the special edition 'Roma' by Borgioli: [​IMG] http://www.francos.com/index.htm

16. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Park Avenue. Â Why Park Avenue? Â Sounds like a Buick. [​IMG]

17. Stu

Stu Senior member

You might want to check out the glossary of terms thread in this forum. It's about the third from the top, and is pinned there. All these terms are discussed and defined there verbatim.

18. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

I thought so too, until I put them on my feet, and then thought it looked fine, with the pant covering most of the shoe.

19. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

The Park Avenue's cap is smaller than some others', but I've never felt it was too small. At least, I've never been self-conscious about this before.

20. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I dislike the combination of the small cap and the overall chunkiness of the Park Avenue.  Compare it to the Brooks Brothers Peal cap toe, which in my opinion is much better proportioned.