• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE opening store in Shanghai

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E opening store in Shanghai. Big news I guess.
It was on CNN a few minutes ago.

Article I found:

ong a favored brand among quality-minded Americans, several presidents among them, the Wisconsin-based shoemaker Allen Edmonds today announced plans to expand into China while keeping its manufacturing base planted firmly in the USA. Though the American Apparel & Footwear Association estimates that 99 percent of shoes sold in the United States are currently imported, with 88 percent of the total coming from China, the flow of American-made shoes going the other direction is virtually nil. But with wealthier Chinese consumers now putting a premium on craftsmanship and “low-key luxury,” Allen Edmonds is ready to show China what it’s been missing by spending so long fixated on larger European brands.

As the AFP notes today, Allen Edmonds, via a licensing agreement with Shanghai-based Talent Creations, plans to ply its wares in mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau, with its first store in the region slated for Shanghai at the end of June 2012. From the article:

Conventional wisdom might suggest that the cheapest way to sell to the Chinese is to assemble the products in China, thereby minimizing labor and shipping costs. But Paul Grangaard, Allen Edmonds’ top executive, wouldn’t hear of it. He said a significant part of his company’s appeal is that its products are U.S.-made.

“We sometimes forget in this country what a strong reputation ‘Made in America’ has around the world,” said Grangaard, the president and CEO of the privately held firm. “If we started making shoes in China, we’d be just like any other company.”

Allen Edmonds shoes are handmade at the company headquarters in Port Washington, about 30 miles north of Milwaukee. Its 330 production workers crank out 2,000 pairs of shoes a day, and Grangaard predicted that if sales in Asia take off, the manufacturing staff could double in the next 10 years.

There’s room for his optimism. China has about 1.3 billion people — or, as Grangaard sees the market, 2.6 billion feet — and its expanding upper and middle classes can increasingly afford pricey shoes.

Entering a men’s footwear market as crowded as China’s clearly won’t be easy, but surging demand in its home market — where consumers are putting a premium on quality rather than price alone — has Allen Edmonds confident its hand-made shoes will put it on equal footing (pun intended) with market stalwarts like Ferragamo and Zegna. Allen Edmonds certainly has plenty going for it: nearly 90 years old (20 years older than Coach), famously hard-wearing, only one of two American high-end men’s shoemakers still producing domestically (along with Alden), and the choice of presidents and CEOs for decades. To further burnish the brand’s “All-American” image, each Allen Edmonds store in China will sell the brand’s business and casual lines, as well as its new even higher-end line, “The Independence Collection,” each model of which is named after a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

If all goes to plan, who knows, we could just see both Barack Obama and Hu Jintao wearing the same brand of shoes before too long.

Last edited:

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

aperson

Reaction score
In my experience, the only people more anti "made in China" than Americans are wealthy Chinese, so this might actually work.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TRIPLE the price or it won't work. :slayer:

Last edited:

Verniza

Reaction score
I'm absolutely sure we will be seeing AE fakes in China soon.

aperson

Reaction score
Wealthy Chinese all have their kids in America, so your argument isn't convincing.

Those are actually the main people I'm referring to. I know a lot of wealthy chinese expats, and many of them have nothing but contempt for chinese made goods.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are actually the main people I'm referring to. I know a lot of wealthy chinese expats, and many of them have nothing but contempt for chinese made goods. 

Indeed, wealthy Shanghainese will be expecting to see "Made in USA" on their Allan Edmonds and NOT "Made in China". Because many of them own the factories that make things in China, they know exactly how inexpensive it can be to make things here. They're paying top-dollar for some supposedly foreign imported luxury product, they expect it to come from abroad.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads