• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE MacNeil vs Alden 975

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Just wanted to know LeatherSoul's, Janlibourel's, and other key person's opinion in these two shoes:

Alden
975.jpg

AE
MacNeil_Display.jpg

Both longwings , both cordovan , and both double sole with the same exact design almost down to the medallion.

AE is $475 retail and Alden is $530

(AE right now at SC can be had 20% off)

Would an 100 dollar upgrade be worth it for the Alden?

I'm actually looking for a whiskey cordovan in the Alden.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the shoes are substantially identical and you should buy which last fits your feet better.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian,

You know my viewpoint via our email correspondence. I won't post it here on the forum due to my heavily biased views.

Both are great shoes. You can't lose either way.

Aloha,

Tom

PS-Good luck getting it in whiskey!
blush.gif
crackup[1].gif
blush.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Although both are sold in #8 shell, the colors are somewhat different on the AE and the Alden. Consensus seems to be that Alden adds some sort of additional color treatment to its #8 shell. The point being that you might prefer one color variation over the other.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love gunboat longwings! I've got a pair of MacNeils in calfskin. I recently checked out both the AE and the Alden in cordovan in the New York stores. The Aldens seemed to edge out the AEs on quality and, to me, design. I like the zig-zag edge on the tongue and the brogueing seemed a little "deeper" than on the AEs. But, in the end, I think you should go with what fits you best, since they both are nice.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until very recently Alden of Carmel had that shoe on their website in Whiskey. I'm sure they had a batch made some time ago and finally just ran their stock down to the point where they've been removed from their online inventory. You might contact them to see if they have any stragglers left in the stock room. They do still have them shown in that style in both Ravello and Cigar if either of those are to your liking (I'm not always wild about their sole choices, but that's a separate issue). Also, if you're more concerned with the Whiskey shell color than the style, theshoemart.com now has an Alden norwegian in whiskey that's pretty sharp. Good luck with the hunt.

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/shoes.htm

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
Also, if you're more concerned with the Whiskey shell color than the style, theshoemart.com now has an Alden norwegian in whiskey that's pretty sharp. Good luck with the hunt.

Where did you see the norwegian in whiskey? Couldn't find in on their site. I wouldn't mind picking up a pair.

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
Until very recently Alden of Carmel had that shoe on their website in Whiskey. I'm sure they had a batch made some time ago and finally just ran their stock down to the point where they've been removed from their online inventory. You might contact them to see if they have any stragglers left in the stock room. They do still have them shown in that style in both Ravello and Cigar if either of those are to your liking (I'm not always wild about their sole choices, but that's a separate issue). Also, if you're more concerned with the Whiskey shell color than the style, theshoemart.com now has an Alden norwegian in whiskey that's pretty sharp. Good luck with the hunt.

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/shoes.htm

I have that shoe.
inlove.gif

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Nevermind, I found it. Thanks.

where? I'd like to see that shoe.

BTW - do you think you will ever get anymore whiskey v-tips in stock? those were amazing.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stax
where? I'd like to see that shoe.

BTW - do you think you will ever get anymore whiskey v-tips in stock? those were amazing.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

They're under the regular Alden section, not the bootmakers.

I doubt we'll be getting any more whiskey V's anytime soon. Whiskey from Alden is just too hard to get now. Cigar is getting that way too.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are just a shop, heres something from the carmel website: The Alden Shoe Company of Middleborough Massachusettes has chosen Alden of Carmel as one of the independent shops through which its shoes may be sold. We are proud to be an authorized dealer of Alden shoes, and one of the very few Alden dealers specializing in Alden shoes alone. Although, oddly, they don't show up under the stores listing on the main Alden site. Alden is really good about putting the individual store stamp on the insoles for many of their shops. I know they do it for all of Alden SF's stock, and I've seen other stores stamped too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads