• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Leeds Identification

kentuckyboy

Reaction score
Hello all, just wondering if anyone might be able to provide some insight on a pair of AE Leeds I snagged on ebay. They were listed as "burgundy leather" but looked like cordovan and had the dovetail toplift that I thought was only used on AE cordovan shoes. Unfortunately I dont have pictures, but if they are cordovan the seller didnt know. Can anyone confirm that AE Leeds in burgundy with a dovetail toplift are likely cordovan? They also didnt have any microcreasing. Oh, and they are older (have the tan colored insole) but are in really good condition. Have AE ever made burgundy leather Leeds with that sort of heel? Thanks for the input.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think definitely shell cordovan. My understanding is the combination heel is only available for shell. Also that leather is wrinkling in a pretty distinctive manner.

Good find.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
arhgrhgrhg I had my eyes on these too, was hoping to snag them cheap

when did the seller add the BIN? it wasn't there last night. was just starting bid of $29.99

I checked my ebay a couple hours ago and saw it sold I was like effefefefefe

I would have bought them for $60 as well

OP, if they are too narrow for you, lemme know

kentuckyboy

Reaction score
Yeah the seller put it up early this morning. That was when I figured it either was not shell cordovan or the seller just didnt know. It looked pretty convincing so I took the gamble since $65 isn't a bad price for calf Leeds with that kind of wear, let alone shell. Will definitely let you know if they are too narrow, which is a possibility.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I think definitely shell cordovan. My understanding is the combination heel is only available for shell. Also that leather is wrinkling in a pretty distinctive manner.

Good find.

Not strictly true. Lands End Canvas sells the AE Leeds in black and dark brown calf with a combination heel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads