• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

AE Leeds Identification

kentuckyboy

Reaction score
Hello all, just wondering if anyone might be able to provide some insight on a pair of AE Leeds I snagged on ebay. They were listed as "burgundy leather" but looked like cordovan and had the dovetail toplift that I thought was only used on AE cordovan shoes. Unfortunately I dont have pictures, but if they are cordovan the seller didnt know. Can anyone confirm that AE Leeds in burgundy with a dovetail toplift are likely cordovan? They also didnt have any microcreasing. Oh, and they are older (have the tan colored insole) but are in really good condition. Have AE ever made burgundy leather Leeds with that sort of heel? Thanks for the input.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think definitely shell cordovan. My understanding is the combination heel is only available for shell. Also that leather is wrinkling in a pretty distinctive manner.

Good find.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
arhgrhgrhg I had my eyes on these too, was hoping to snag them cheap

when did the seller add the BIN? it wasn't there last night. was just starting bid of $29.99

I checked my ebay a couple hours ago and saw it sold I was like effefefefefe

I would have bought them for $60 as well

OP, if they are too narrow for you, lemme know

kentuckyboy

Reaction score
Yeah the seller put it up early this morning. That was when I figured it either was not shell cordovan or the seller just didnt know. It looked pretty convincing so I took the gamble since $65 isn't a bad price for calf Leeds with that kind of wear, let alone shell. Will definitely let you know if they are too narrow, which is a possibility.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I think definitely shell cordovan. My understanding is the combination heel is only available for shell. Also that leather is wrinkling in a pretty distinctive manner.

Good find.

Not strictly true. Lands End Canvas sells the AE Leeds in black and dark brown calf with a combination heel.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.