Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

AE Lasts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bradford, May 25, 2006.

1. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

OK -

As I read more about Allen Edmonds shoes, I see that it is typically recommended that you should know which last fits your foot.

I currently have two pairs of AE's, McCallister's and Ashland's, that are very comfortable and getting quite a bit of rotation.

So the question is, what last are both of these? And what are the names of some other AE models that would be on the same lasts?

This way, I can keep my eye on Ebay and also visit Last Chance here in Phoenix as I seek to pick up additional pairs.

Thanks in advance!

2. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

If you look on the inside of the upper of the shoe there will be a four digit model number (e.g., 9177). The last digit of that number corresponds to the last of the shoe. You can then go on AEs website, www.allenedmonds.com and click on any shoe and click on "Select Your Size and Color" then click on "Shoe Sizing Guide" and it will give you a guide to all the lasts with descriptions. Any shoe on their website that has the same last digit as your shoe in its model number will be on the same last. So, using the example above, any shoe that has a model number ending in "7" will be on the same last as my model number 9177 shoe. I hope this helps.

3. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

OK - As I read more about Allen Edmonds shoes, I see that it is typically recommended that you should know which last fits your foot. I currently have two pairs of AE's, McCallister's and Ashland's, that are very comfortable and getting quite a bit of rotation. So the question is, what last are both of these? And what are the names of some other AE models that would be on the same lasts? This way, I can keep my eye on Ebay and also visit Last Chance here in Phoenix as I seek to pick up additional pairs. Thanks in advance!
    From what I recall the website as well as the shoes themselves mention the last's code... you could use that as a guide. At least AEs are easy to find and easy to try on in person, unlike say C&J and the like... Edit: Blast it, neither is listed on the site...

4. Bradford

If you look on the inside of the upper of the shoe there will be a four digit model number (e.g., 9177). The last digit of that number corresponds to the last of the shoe. You can then go on AEs website, www.allenedmonds.com and click on any shoe and click on "Select Your Size and Color" then click on "Shoe Sizing Guide" and it will give you a guide to all the lasts with descriptions. Any shoe on their website that has the same last digit as your shoe in its model number will be on the same last. So, using the example above, any shoe that has a model number ending in "7" will be on the same last as my model number 9177 shoe. I hope this helps.

Thanks - I'm wearing the McCallisters today, so I looked and the number is 6265, thus the 5 last.

I'll have to check my Ashlands tonight.

Anyone know offhand what other shoes are on the 5 last? These are very comfortable.

5. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

the park avenue, fairfax, and hastings are on the 5 last, i think. i'm sure there are more.

6. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Thanks - I'm wearing the McCallisters today, so I looked and the number is 6265, thus the 5 last.

I'll have to check my Ashlands tonight.

Anyone know offhand what other shoes are on the 5 last? These are very comfortable.

Everybody's favorite wholecut, the Fairfax, is on the 5 last. A few months ago it seemed like they were on sale everywhere, now I haven't really seen them on sale so much.

EDIT: NoVa beat me to it [​IMG]

7. Roger

Roger Senior member

This gets a little tricky when trying to track down the last number for discontinued models, which for the most part are bought online, with eBay being the best source. In this case, you really don't have much choice but to e-mail the seller and ask for the 4-digit model number, with final digit as the last number (as noted by others).

8. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

This gets a little tricky when trying to track down the last number for discontinued models, which for the most part are bought online, with eBay being the best source. In this case, you really don't have much choice but to e-mail the seller and ask for the 4-digit model number, with final digit as the last number (as noted by others).

Or you can call Allen-Edmonds, give them the model name of the shoe, and they will tell you the last number.

9. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Previous posts are correct. Be willing to try styles you like, don't just wait on the last. May have to drop or add a half size. I usually go into their retail and try some on for fit, then go bargain shopping. One caution, they can discontinue stuff, I own several that are no longer available, so don't wait too long to pull the trigger.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I should just point out that A-E system permits only 10 last numbers (0-9), and they recycle numbers. For example, the old number 8 last, which is used for the still-catalogued Ashton, is very different from the new number 8, which is used for most of the new Spring '06 introductions.

I wouldn't sweat A-E discontinuing a style too much. Many discontinued styles hang around for several years on closeout status with the prices getting progressively lower as time passes.

11. Roger

Roger Senior member

Or you can call Allen-Edmonds, give them the model name of the shoe, and they will tell you the last number.
    They'll do that, will they? Well good for Allen-Edmonds. I would have thought that they might be a little annoyed by people recycling already-purchased shoes on eBay rather than buying new ones that generate new profits for A-E.

12. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

They'll do that, will they? Well good for Allen-Edmonds. I would have thought that they might be a little annoyed by people recycling already-purchased shoes on eBay rather than buying new ones that generate new profits for A-E.

That's not necessarily bad for Allen Edmonds. You're assuming that the people who are willing to pay $50 or $100 for a pair of used AEs on ebay would also be willing to pay $300 for a brand new pair in a retail store if the shoes were not available on ebay, which is a faulty assumption. Most people who buy them used on ebay would never own a pair of AE shoes if they were not available on ebay. In fact, these people who buy used AEs might also be using the AE recrafting process, which brings profits to AE.

13. Bradford

That's not necessarily bad for Allen Edmonds. You're assuming that the people who are willing to pay $50 or $100 for a pair of used AEs on ebay would also be willing to pay $300 for a brand new pair in a retail store if the shoes were not available on ebay, which is a faulty assumption. Most people who buy them used on ebay would never own a pair of AE shoes if they were not available on ebay. In fact, these people who buy used AEs might also be using the AE recrafting process, which brings profits to AE.

That would describe me [​IMG]

14. Roger

Roger Senior member

Good point. However, ignoring for the moment the possibility of recrafting further down the line, A-E are allowing their employees to devote some of their paid time to activities that won't produce any profit for A-E except, perhaps, in the form of goodwill. Many companies just won't do this--time is money, etc.

15. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

the 0 last is what fits me perfectly.

i just learned from jlibourel recently that the colton and the birmingham are on the zero last.