AE Lasts- how do I know?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cabana Boy, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Cabana Boy

Cabana Boy Active Member

Can I assume that any qualified shoe store carrying AE shoes could size me up for the proper last I should be in? I am not sure how one finds out whether they should be in a last 4, last 5 or last 8? My first step is to toss the Aldo's that look like crap in 6 months and get some quality footwear.

2. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Senior member

NO. Although at an Edmonds store, they are trained to help you obtain a good fit, in the final analysis, you put it on ( with the proper sock ), and walk around the store a bit. I always bring my own socks, casual- dress- etc. , for what I'm looking for.
    But from the way I read your post, I'm getting the idea, that you are under the impression that you think, you can pick out a shoe design and get it in a certain last. Although you can order many of their shoes customized, as far as leather- color - sole- etc. , if it comes in a 5 last, it's a 5 last.
    Go to a store and try on several different styles that come in different lasts and you will know how each last fits you. Myself, I take a 9 1/2 D (med ) in most shoes, but in some lasts ( styles ), I differ, in size or width. Foot size can also vary during the day ( swell ). I try to go shopping for shoes in late afternoon or early evening, to get the average amount of swelling.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Step 1: Go to any Nordstrom or AE store and pick out a shoe you like.
    Step 2: Try that shoe on in the size the clerk recommends after sizing you.
    Step 3: If it fits, buy it. If it does not, go back to step 1.

4. Cabana Boy

Cabana Boy Active Member

Thank you both. This did straighten me out. I assumed every model was made in a variety of lasts, so Roger set me straight on that. New Shoes1, I hear ya. No need for me to overcomplicate this. Got it.

Thanks

5. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

AE's are like women; you've got to try them on before you get the perfect fit. There's no magic formula. You've just got to get inside and see how it feels.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

6. md2010

md2010 Senior member

+1

7. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

wtf? :confused:

8. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

:rotflmao:

9. Cabana Boy

Cabana Boy Active Member

I am pumped to slip into some new AE's. I have never really had any decent footwear. I did not wear garbage, but nothing approaching mid to high end at all. The junk is going out and I am making room for a little quality in my life.

10. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Do get the right fit you need not only find the right length as in case of Aldo shoes), but also the right width. Most retailers will only have the standard D-width in store (including Nordstrom). If possible go to an AE store where you can try different length - width combinations.