1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

AE kenilworth sizing help?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by escobarseason, Feb 6, 2017.

1. escobarseason

escobarseason New Member

Hey guys, some advice needed.

I've had the opportunity to purchase AE kenilworth, however, i can't go to try them on.
    I have read that you should go down half a size or a size on these.
    I have also printed out and measured myself with the allen edmonds online sizing guide. According to this, i should go with either a 10.5 or 11c (my toe is right on the line)
    My question is, does anyone have any experience with the online sizing guide, and if im a 10.5 on that will a kenilworth 10.5 fit? Thanks a lot!

2. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

Have you previously purchased AE shoes? Any experience with this last?
    If not, I highly suggest you go to a retailer to try them on. Where do you live? Is there a Nordstrom nearby? They often have a selection of AE so you can get comfortable with the sizing. If that, too, is not an option, you could order multiple sizes and return what doesn't fit. AE is very good with returns. Just make sure you only walk on carpet.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. johng70

johng70 Senior member

I second the advice above - AE shoes (I think I have 8 or 9 pairs) are definitely snug. For me, some lasts don't feel right at all - no matter what combination I try. I measure 9.5D right on the money. A 5-last in "E" fits me perfect (that's the same last as the shoe you are interested in). Other lasts in other combinations have slightly less comfortable results. I couldn't imagine sizing down on the 5 last, but that's ME and how my foot is shaped and the feel that I prefer. You don't really need a Kenilworth at a local store - you can try on a Fifth Avenue or Strand or any other and you'll get an idea of how shoes fit.

4. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

Well, keep in mind that Kenilworth is a derby, not an oxford like Fifth Ave/Strand/PA, so the fit will still be fairly different, even though they share the same last.

1 person likes this.
  5. jacksonkeeper

jacksonkeeper Active Member

I wear the same size in my Park Avenue as I do for the Kenilworth. But to the OP, definitely recommend trying on some AE in stores if possible so you have some reference points.

6. escobarseason

escobarseason New Member

Unfortunately i have not tried AE before. The problem is, i live in new zealand, and its really hard to find decent shoes here. There is no nordstrom here.

Did you use the sizing brannock thing and measure right on the 9.5 line? Because if you did (i'm assuming this is the same as their online sizing guide at this link: http://www.golflocker.com/images/dynamic/Allen_Edmonds/Allen-Edmonds-size_and_fit_guide.pdf), and a 9.5 fits perfectly, then i'm happy to bite the bullet and order the 10.5.

The size guide says if you hit right on the line to size up half a size, but this will probably make them too long for me im guessing

For added reference, i'm an 11 in bass buckinghams and a 10 in converse chuck taylors (their sizing is weird)

Thanks!

7. johng70

johng70 Senior member

Yes, I measure right at 9.5. But, a brannock only takes two measurements and when you deal with better quality leather shoes, the leather is less pliable than cheap shoes. What I am saying is that two people could measure the exact same on the device but because of the shape of the shoe and their personal preferences, those two people could each be more comfortable in two different sizes. And, as I mentioned, I require an "E" in the 5 last for it to be comfortable for me. An "E" in other lasts is too wide FOR ME though. Some people will size down half a size and go wide in some cases.

1 person likes this.