• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Comfort

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I bought my first pair of AEs - a pair of chestnut Hillcrests.

I read everywhere about AE's level of comfort, but I have to say, I'm just not seeing it. I've worn them maybe once a week since buying them. They are OK for an hour or two, but if I wear them all day (say to work) my feet are killing me by the end of the day. I certainly can't walk around in them to the extent I can with all of my other shoes. By contrast, the Santonis I bought more recently were trouble-free from the first wear.

I measured my feet before ordering these from STP, and checked against AE's dimensions for the relevant last, and I'm sure I have the correct size and width. Yet they are taking a long time to wear in and become comfortable, which is not what I expected. Is it your experience that AEs need breaking in, or am I just unlucky?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My experience is that AE need next to no breaking in--if they fit right in the first place. I can only conclude that, owing to last shape or some other factor, the shoes you have do not.

In fact, it is one of the distinguishing features of AEs, to my mind, that a properly fitting pair feels as comfortable when I can home in the evening as they do when I slip them on.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
CD, the problem isn't always fit, per se...it's shape. It's just not possible for anybody to be comfortable in all lasts. The 4 last, which the Hillcrest is on, is a virtually perfect fit for me, while one or two other AE lasts are not; even though the shoes use the same leathers and construction techniques, my Park Avenues and Cambridges just will never feel as good as my Brewsters et al (the 5 last doesn't hurt me...it's just not as good a fit).

This is a complicated matter. Size is a matter of only two measurements: ball length and circumference at the ball area. (Overall length can also be used, but it's less precise.) These two measurements, though, only take into account a small number of possible measurements of a last, so even two lasts with the same measurements might not "fit" a person the same way.

Take Jan Libourel and me as a perfect example pair: we both love the AE 4 last, but for him the other best-fitting last is the 5. For me, the 5 is about the worst-fitting of AE's lasts (though I haven't tried the two new lasts). How can this be? Obviously, there are many factors beyond the two "size" dimensions that are just as important.

Unfortunately, the only way to solve the puzzle is to try on shoes. Well, maybe it's not that unfortunate!
laugh.gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
A few months ago I bought my first pair of AEs - a pair of chestnut Hillcrests.

The Hillcrests have a double sole, and will take slightly longer to break in. That being said, I agree with what's been said above - it appears that the last is not appropriate for you.

westcoaster

Reaction score
I have the Park Ave, which fit OK but get uncomfortable after truly extensive walking, unlike many other shoes I have.

I have no idea how one can predict long term comfort in the store, esp when buying a shoe you are not familiar with.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westcoaster
I have no idea how one can predict long term comfort in the store, esp when buying a shoe you are not familiar with.

I couldn't agree more. Trying shoes on in a store, especially walking on carpet, is no predictor of how comfortable they will be after one hour walking on pavement. You might as well buy on the net.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I tried something. I bought a thick, heavy pair of winter socks, and wore the AEs all day with them on. This included being up and around the house all day, a shopping trip and a couple of short walks.

The end result is that there was no discomfort at all.

This seems to indicate that my shoes are a little large for me. The pair I have are EEEs. Is it possible that the difference between thick and thin socks would equate to the difference between a EEE and an EE?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It could. The measured differences aren't huge. But I don't think AE makes many EEs. It's mostly Es and 3Es.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I had wide feet... EEEs!!
smile.gif

I have 2 pairs of AEs... the DelRay and the Mapleton. Both 11D. Both fit just fine in the store, walking around for a good 5 minutes each. Since purchase, I've worn each 2-3 times for several hours each wear. Both are definitely not comfortable after long wear. As the hours pass, they each have little problems (differing) that make them annoying.

With the Mapleton, I suspect I should have gotten an E instead of D as the sides of my feet feel pinched when my feet swell after hours of wear. With the DelRay, it's tough to say.

I have likely the worst feet imagineable for dress shoes- they're flat, wide, and different enough is size that often 1 size shoe feels great for 1 foot but not the other. I cannot tell you how much it sucks.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
E does not make EE any more, and even ten years ago they didn't make a whole lot. If thick socks work, try also using a thin insole (which will make up for about a one-width difference). You can then wear them with thinner socks if you want. Good that you found a solution.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
I've had comfort issues with AE Shoes also. It appears to be that I am buying the right size but it must the the style of last as by the end of the day I can't wait to get them off my feet.

Windsurf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Today I tried something. I bought a thick, heavy pair of winter socks, and wore the AEs all day with them on. This included being up and around the house all day, a shopping trip and a couple of short walks.

The end result is that there was no discomfort at all.

This seems to indicate that my shoes are a little large for me. The pair I have are EEEs. Is it possible that the difference between thick and thin socks would equate to the difference between a EEE and an EE?

Now that you are wearing thicker socks do you think it is the fit that is the problem or do you think it is the lack of cushion? I have tried a few AEs when they are on sale in some stores and all give me the feel of walking on concrete! There is no cushion built into the shoe and so all the shock comes through into my legs and I suspect after a couple of hours I would feel exhausted (I have had this experience with other shoes) but if I wear thick cushiony socks or wear other shoes with some built in cushion or rubber soles then I can walk all day and never feel tired or sore. I acknowledge my feet are very sensitive and I have little body fat so I tend to be more boney than cushion on my feet but still at that price you would think AE would build a more comfortable shoe. Now I understand why all the women in my life never want to do anything, they are exhausted from wearing those thin soled no cushion high heels.
snork[1].gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't have this experience with AEs at all. In fact, I find them more forgiving in the sole than a lot of other shoes. YMMV, obviously.

wq1999

Reaction score
I tried one pair of AE bluchers and found them quite uncomfortable, largely oweing to the fact that they have close to no padding on the heel (or the rest of the insole for that matter).

Dan-

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wq1999
I tried one pair of AE bluchers and found them quite uncomfortable, largely oweing to the fact that they have close to no padding on the heel (or the rest of the insole for that matter).
Were these real AEs or some in a Marshalls? I have a few pairs on the 4 and 5 lasts and they all feel like I'm walking on cushions. It really helps to go into an actual Allen Edmonds store, as the people who work there will be able to help you achieve a perfect fit. Really top notch customer service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads