• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE color question: chestnut vs. brandy

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like AE's chili color, but it gains some deep red tones when polished, which makes it seem to me a very ""autumnal" shade. I'm looking for something closer to a tan, and I'm considering the Colton in chestnut or maybe the Dryden in brandy. My problem, though, is that the colors seem almost interchangeable, depending on the photo (I have yet to check em out in real life, I'm just cruising ebay here). Anybody know which is "tanner"?

pengesq

Reaction score
Chestnut is tanner. I have a pair of AE Chester in Chili that I bought online because it looked tan in the pictures but turned out to be more red in person. I recently bought AE Fairfax in Chestnut and it definitely looks closer to the pictures posted online.

pengesq

Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that I have the AE Dryden in Brandy. It's a great color but I think the Chestnut goes with more outfits.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pengesq
I also forgot to mention that I have the AE Dryden in Brandy. It's a great color but I think the Chestnut goes with more outfits.

Probably. At any rate, the brandy has more of a reddish tint, whereas the chestnut has more of a tannish-yellowish tint.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, the 'chestnut antibes' looks great on the Colton model... Too bad I can't find the combo in a 9.5 Regular width
frown.gif

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
Wow, the 'chestnut antibes' looks great on the Colton model... Too bad I can't find the combo in a 9.5 Regular width
frown.gif

Have you called the Allen-Edmonds factory store? You should be able to get seconds for $129+shipping without any trouble at all.

The Colton in chestnut was the most recent addition to my small collection of Allen-Edmonds and I think it's also my favorite.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
frown.gif

crap. I forsee you and I bidding against one another on ebay in the near future
smile.gif

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question. It appears that the Colton model is being discontinued or is it just a seaonal shoe? I can't find it at retail anywhere. I really like this semi-brougue style. Is it being discontinued?

Also, can anyone point me to a similar shoe. I have something similar in a tan and would prefer something with some more red in it.
thanks.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
I have a question. It appears that the Colton model is being discontinued or is it just a seaonal shoe? I can't find it at retail anywhere. I really like this semi-brougue style. Is it being discontinued? Also, can anyone point me to a similar shoe. I have something similar in a tan and would prefer something with some more red in it. thanks.
You should be able to buy it (as a factory second) for $129+6 shipping from the Allen-Edmonds factory outlet (assuming they still have your size in stock). Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank at the Factory 201 East Seven Hills Road Port Washington, WI 53074 Phone: 262-284-7158 edit: I didn't really read your question...are you looking for the Colton in chestnut or another semi-brogue in chili?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
I have a question. It appears that the Colton model is being discontinued or is it just a seaonal shoe? I can't find it at retail anywhere. I really like this semi-brougue style. Is it being discontinued?

Also, can anyone point me to a similar shoe. I have something similar in a tan and would prefer something with some more red in it.
thanks.

If you want more red, go for the Byron in chili. It has a bit less bronguing though, and its a bal.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
crap. I forsee you and I bidding against one another on ebay in the near future
smile.gif

boxing[1].gif
laugh.gif

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
You should be able to buy it (as a factory second) for $129+6 shipping from the Allen-Edmonds factory outlet (assuming they still have your size in stock).

Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank at the Factory
201 East Seven Hills Road
Port Washington, WI 53074

Phone: 262-284-7158

edit: I didn't really read your question...are you looking for the Colton in chestnut or another semi-brogue in chili?

Actually i am looking for any other ideas on a semi-brogue. I hate having one brand... as they always seem to discontinue it and then i am left out in the cold. Plus the english brands (that i can afford) don't seem to have much in the way of a chili that i have found...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads