Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ae chesters in cordovan...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Tom, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Tom

Tom Senior Member

What is the finsish on this model? Is it shiny and "plasticy"? ot is it nice?

2. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Do you mean shell cordovan or cordovan-colored calf?

3. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

The A-E Chesters are not offered in cordovan (horsehide)leather. The somewhat similar McNeil is, however. The A-E Chesters are offered in a color that some call "cordovan" but A-E style Merlot. The leather is burnished calfskin. I have four pairs of A-Es in Merlot, including the Park Avenue, which I just bought yesterday. There can be some color variation in the A-E Merlot leather, some of it being more on the reddish side of the spectrum, as on the shoes I bought yesterday; a couple of the other pairs I have are more brownish. In any event, A-E Merlot in burnished calfskin is an elegant, muted color. If it were "plasticy," I certainly would not have bought any of them. Hope this helps.

P.S. I'd probably buy or have bought the Chester in Merlot, but I find the #3 last a bit wide for my feet.

4. Tom

Tom Senior Member

Sorry, I meant the color cordovan (burgundy, oxblood, merlot, what have you). I have a pair of LLoyd model AEs in burgundy, but I don't like the finish. Too "plasticy" for me. But I love my black Byrons.

-Tom