• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Bowing issue

acct

Reaction score
Guys, I have started to notice some bowing in the strands I own (I attached a picture). I wear a 9.5E. I just bought Park Avesand I'm afraid same thing may happen with them as well since they both are on the same last.

Should I move up a width like a 9.5 EE on the park aves? btw the 9.5E feels comfortable&snug on both strand and park aves

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the only make of shoe where I know this issue occurs so frequently. I would strongly consider buying shoes from a different shoemaker entirely.

Actually this is the only brand of shoes I know where this happens. It's a known issue with AE shoes. It doesn't always happen but it does happen.

It's been suggested that it might happen because they don't leave their shoes on the Last for a long enough period of time.

Last edited:

acct

Reaction score
Any alternatives to park avenue? I'm looking in the 300-400 range.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any alternatives to park avenue? I'm looking in the 300-400 range. 

I would have a look at Carmina. If purchased thru Skoaktiebolaget you will probably be able to do so for under $400. I would also recommend taking a look at the shoes for under $500. That thread should also provide you with some good information as well as the black Oxford dress shoe thread. Some of the shoes mentioned there cost much more, but then again some mentioned there also are within your price range.

The more information the better as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the meantime where did you purchase these shoes from? I might look into trying to get a refund (doubtful) or replacing them (possible) depending on where you purchased them.

acct

Reaction score
Strands I purchased from Nordstrom about a year ago. The park avenues I just bought few wks ago, so they can easily be returned.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Strands I purchased from Nordstrom about a year ago. The park avenues I just bought few wks ago, so they can easily be returned. 

I would try both, the worst they could say is no. Nordstroms and AE are known for their customer service. Can't hurt to try.

They might refund the older shoes, but they might replace them.

Last edited:

acct

Reaction score
Do any retailers here carry Carmina? I'm hestitant buying online without trying first. Thanks.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do any retailers here carry Carmina? I'm hestitant buying online without trying first. Thanks.

Understand, and it all depends where you live. Unfortunately their retail network is nowhere as big as AE. There are only a handful of locations but it just depends where you live. But this really is the case for most quality shoes actually. You would really have to live near just a very few locations in order to actually try on any shoes of true quality before buying unfortunately.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I would share this with you. I just recently posted this question on the AE appreciation thread this morning. The answer seems reasonable and as far as I know it may actually explain the problem to a T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees

Frankly I don't understand why this bowing issue which seems to be an AE specific issue doesn't make more people pause or even stop more often before purchasing an AE shoe.

Am I wrong in thinking that this is a manufacturing defect.? If it's any thing other than that I really would like to know. It. seems like it occurs fairly regularly. However even when someone doesn't get the best fit with someone else's shoes I don't see this issue occuring.

Am I wrong in thinking this happens mainly with AE shoes? I haven't seen this with any other shoes that I am aware of.

I consider a good number of their designs to be fairly nice at this price range and the materials they seem to use are decent for this price range. But this issue seems to be a bit much to put up with even for a shoe that is sold in such large numbers even at the lower price range for GYW RTW shoes.

I'm just curious. Can anybody tell me why this happens? Is it because AE doesn't leave their shoes on the Last for a long enough time as some have suggested? Also I'm curious why customers actually put up with a condition like this. I did conduct a search of this thread for bowing to see what I could come up with, but this comes up so often, unfortunately I wasn't able to find any good answers.
The primary reason for bowing on the topline, especially with 5 last shoes, is flat feet. It's an issue of the insole, especially in the back 1/3 of the shoe isn't wide enough to accommodate someones footprint, and the mass of the foot has to go somewhere. There is pressure applied to the lower section of the upper by the outside/inside of the foot, causing bowing that the foot/ankle doesn't have volume to fill. the 65 last is great, its also the narrowest last the AE makes. It isn't for everyone. There's lots of other last options that are able to deal with wider/flat feet much better.

Hopefully this makes sense. Kind of hard to paint a word picture of this lol.

This certainly makes sense based on your explanation. Seems odd though that I've read some comments from people stating they would have this issue but after returning a pair or two the second or third pair doesn't have this issue. It does really seem odd that this is the only shoemaker who has this issue. Sounds like a bad design, but in fact if it's because of what you said it may actually be a good thing for those who have narrow and not so flat feet.

Thanks for helping clear this up me.

Cheers,

Dan

Last edited:

dan'l

Reaction score
^ I also noticed this on most - if not all - AE shoes I've tried on. In the end, I returned them all, except for the first pair I purchased (derbies). There is some bowing on the sides, too, but I never noticed until it was too late to return them. I have a pair of Balmoral boots as well, though obviously bowing is not a concern on them.

I agree that it is really a shame, since AE shoes are pretty decent quality at the price point and I find their customer service to be excellent.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flat feet is not the answer. I have higher than normal arches and slightly narrow feet. By the description above, the 65 last should fit me superbly. However, I get bowing on all the shoes I own made on that last. I dont know what the answer is (and clearly AE doesnt either), but it isnt flat feet.

I have also found that the type of lacing makes no difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads