• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Bel Air's for work?

principal

Reaction score
Are allen edmonds bel air's appropriate wear for everyday work for business formal?

nordicstyle

Reaction score
I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be, but then I don't really know all the rules of "business formal".

jmix1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by principal
Are allen edmonds bel air's appropriate wear for everyday work for business formal?

I wouldn't wear the Bel Air (or any derby) with a suit, but that's more of a personal preference. I think they would work fine with trousers and a sportcoat.

principal

Reaction score
any other feedback? why wouldn't they be appropriate with a suit for work?

Ed Sullivan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by principal
any other feedback? why wouldn't they be appropriate with a suit for work?

Bals are considered dressier and appropriate. Outside of this forum 99 percent of the world won't give a hoot that you're wearing a blucher with your suit.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ed Sullivan
Bals are considered dressier and appropriate. Outside of this forum 99 percent of the world won't give a hoot that you're wearing a blucher with your suit.

Exactly right, and inside this forum there are those, like me, who don't care either. Wear your Bel Air's with your suit to work. I get complements on mine all the time.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd wear them with a suit during a typical business day. I don't own the shoe but I do have the Alden plain toe blucher and wear it with suits on occasion.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ed Sullivan

99.999999999999999999%

- B

highball

Reaction score
I have them in "walnut" and wear them to the office with "business casual", with a suit and tie, or on fridays with jeans and a buttondown. Seriously, I don't think any of your colleagues will notice that it's not a bal.

aavlee

Reaction score
I do quite often. They do look much more casual than a bal but they're still a dress shoe to me. I'd say the bal/suit 'rule' is only if you're being formal picky. And that being said thats formal picky by styleforum standards.

I bet you'll get more "nice shoe" comments than "woah, derby's with a suit, tsk tsk" comments.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my Bel Air's to work all the time, but I've never worn them with a suit. Not saying they're not appropriate per se, but I just haven't done it.

Nexus6

Reaction score
I have the walnut as well.
and get many compliments.

Usually I wear them with a combo jacket/trousers.

I have worn them twice with a suit.
One pinstripe
One Charcoal Grey.

But never with a black suit or trousers.

I also have a high instep,
and prefer bluchers over balmorals for comfort.

I also agree that with the pant leg covering the shoe,
no one will even notice,
and anyone who would should be.....I won't say it.

99% of people outside this forum haven't got a clue anyway.

I say wear them whenever you please.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear gunboats to work, and I think with Bel Air's being a sleeker wingtip blucher, I don't see any problems with wearing it to work. And besides, your trousers should cover the open lacing anyways.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
I know what bluchers and bals are, but what are "gunboats"?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite having been raised with some measure of social gentility, having gone to prep school with boys some some of the most patrician communities in California, and having read quite a few treatises on menswear and style over the years, I lived more than 62 years blissfully oblivious to the "no bluchers with a suit" rule until I joined the Select Company of Internet Gentlemen almost five years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads