1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

AE 5 Last Size vs. Brannock Size

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by althanis, Oct 6, 2011.

1. althanis

althanis Senior member

I want to pick up a pair or 2 of AE shoes from allaboutshoes, but since they'll be my first pair, I wanted to try them on first.

I've searched lots of places in Toronto, and none of them have any AE shoes on the 5 last. The Brannock device says I'm an 8.5 D. How well does this size transfer to the AE 5 last? Can I just trust it and order the 8.5D of the Fifth Avenues?

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I find the 5 to fit true to size. However, this is subjective depending on the shape of your foot, the height of your instep, and how you like your shoes to fit. i'd say 8.5D is the best place to start.

3. jay_spec

jay_spec Member

For me, I have to go down half a size on the 5 last. Depending on the return policy, you could order two pairs (one in 8D and one in 8.5D) and just exchange whichever doesn't fit.

4. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

my brannock size is 7..i have 6.5 for Strand due to elongated shape of the last. I prefer a snug fit when wearing balmoral style...

5. Mimosa

Mimosa Well-Known Member

The 5 is a long last. I wear it true to size, but I probably could go down a 1/2 size and still be comfortable.

It is surprising that no store has the 5 last. Have you tried Harry Young's?

http://www.harryyoungshoes.ca/

Mim

6. althanis

althanis Senior member

Yep, I went in to Harry Young about 2 afternoons ago.

Edit: And thanks for the responses so far. I'll talk to him and see what's the best solution we can come up with. Very helpful so far!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  7. csc67

csc67 Senior member

I would say try a 8E in the Allen Edmond # 5 last - They didn't have anything in the # 5 last like Park Ave, Fifth Ave, Strand is crazy since they are AE's biggest sellers for years.

My Allen Edmonds Strands are 7.5E and are tad over 11 3/4 inches long and 4 1/4 inches wide

8. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

I'd be very careful without trying on a pair of shoes. I was measured at Harry Rosen with a Brannock as a 14EEE and turned out to actually be a 13E.

Quite possibly, the salesman just fucked up. He didn't really know what he was doing.

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm a 10D, and the salesman at the AE store here in SF brought out a 9.5 in the Strand and McAllister. Both fit perfectly.

10. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

I find the #5 last to be true to size. I am an 11A and an 11A fits fine.

11. NORE

NORE Senior member

Actually, I found out what my true size in shoes was with the Strand on the #5. 12.5D. I'd echo TTS.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  12. Claus

Claus Senior member

I don't think, the Brannock devise is any useful. In the end, it really depends on your foot shape.

For what's worth, my data indicates that over 35% of all people who rated shoes on the #5 last as fairly, or good fitting, rated their "true size".

By "true size" I mean the maximum length of your feet, measured while standing upright, converted to US sizes, added 1.5 units, and rounded to the next half size. Alternatively, get the Allen Edmonds sizing guide from their homepage, and subtract half a size from the result.

13. althanis

althanis Senior member

I guess if this says anything, it says that size is truly unique. I'll have to keep checking around until I can actually try them on.

14. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

+1

Brannock devices are true to...Brannock devices.

Shoe sizes are true to the sizing system of the factory, the sizing system of the last...and that's extremely arbitrary and...and your own subjective druthers.

Sometimes Brannock devices and a particular shoe size will synchronize. More often than not never to be repeated.

Few shoe salesmen have any real knowledge of foot anatomy much less proper fit....it's not really their fault.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  15. spicolli1976

spicolli1976 Active Member

Stupid question but could you send a link to the AE page on the allaboutshoes site? I can't find it.

Thanks!!!

16. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

17. spicolli1976

spicolli1976 Active Member

18. althanis

althanis Senior member

So the AE fit guide sized me at 9.5, but I bought a 9 instead. It's still big! I probably need an 8.

So now I'm stuck with a brown AE Fifth Avenue size 9D for sale :(. I put it up on the B&S, but no luck so far. I'm stuck with a $300 shoe I can't wear.

19. rathebaindc

rathebaindc Senior member

Did you try the shoes on? IMO if you buy a pair of shoes you haven't tried on and they don't fit, you have nobody to blame but yourself. I'd say sell them for what you can and chalk up the loss to a learning experience. Really figure out your sizes and you'll eventually find some good deals in the future that will help you more than recoup your loss.

20. althanis

althanis Senior member

I know I took a chance, but if you read the earlier threads you'll see that it's impossible to find them in Toronto.