1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Advise on Hermes mens wallet

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by takashi78, Mar 15, 2012.

1. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

I suppose I haven't reached the point where I can say I'm refined enough to keep cash or receipts anywhere besides wadded up in a pants pocket (other than one to two bills folded in my card case) and since I'm not always wearing a jacket I tend to go for cases which fit in a front pocket. Do you just have other wallets for when going jacketless (as in going out for brunch on a Sunday, not going to the office sans jacket :butbut:)? Unfortunately, not quite meticulous enough for that either...

Don't get me wrong, I think breast pocket wallets are quite cool, in that you see very few these days and eve fewer that are used right (as opposed to just a way of stuffing even more into a wallet). I feel like they fell out of favor when people, men in particular, stopped carrying a checkbook on a regular basis. I realized that my check book cover (which I've had for over a decade and bought for about $15 at an outlet mall) is actually a breast pocket wallet, though it's only ever lived in a desk drawer.

2. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

I just purchased a Moynat briefcase. I looked at Valextra and the Hermes Sac a Depeche and I thought that the details of the Moynat were superior to the others. If you are talking just about leather quality alone, Hermes strikes me as tough to beat.

3. TimelesStyle

Thanks for your input, and would love to hear a report on how the Moynat case holds up. I walked into their shop in Paris last winter but they didn't have the style card case I was looking at (and leather, as opposed to coated canvas, would have been a special order, much like Goyard). Regarding quality, though, while you are probably right on Hermes the construction quality matters just as much. Even a wallet in the most beautiful leather won't look very good if the stitching or lacquering aren't of equal quality.

I also question how Hermes can command 2x the price over Valextra on wallets and briefcases. Is it primarily the leather, the workmanship or the name (or a combo of the three)? These cases appear comparable in size and functionality, but look at the prices!! Hermes weighs in at $5,800+ while Valextra is under $2,900:

http://usa.hermes.com/leather/bags-...re-meeting-35849.html?color_leather=DARKBROWN

http://www.barneys.com/Valextra-Sof...3005853,default,pd.html?cgid=BARNEYS&index=34

I feel briefcases are a better comparison than wallets since a higher percentage of the price is based on the item itself, rather than the name.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  4. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

The price of the Moynat ended up being about the same as the Hermes when all was said and done. And the Moynat actually had more visible hand-worked elements. The leather doesn't seem as thick as Hermes, but the Moynat is a hard case. I think the Hermes price partially reflects name cache, but I have never heard anyone complain about the product and they can clearly get what they are asking.

5. TimelesStyle

Me either, but then again I don't know that many people who buy Hermes. I looked at a card case in Paris and my impression was that the leather was gorgeous, the workmanship was fine (I'm sure it was a lot more than fine but I am not a great judge and there aren't that many places to make a card case exquisite) but it didn't feel as substantial as I would have thought. On the one hand that made it very slim and light but on the other it felt a bit delicate. While the overall quality is less the pieces I've had from LV, Gucci and even Prada feel a bit heftier.

6. takashi78

takashi78 Senior member

Wow glad to see this thread back from the dead.
    Indeed the recent replies was much better than how i was "welcomed" in the first 2 pages.

Well i ended up with a Goyard that my sister bought for me when she was on holiday in Paris. The Paris Hermes store had no stock on mens wallets that i wanted.

Happy with what i got and i think the size of the 6 card serves me better than the 8 card Hermes.

With the money i saved i actually went out and bought a pair of Alden loafers when i was visiting relatives in San Francisco.

Went and checked out the wallet in Hermes SF and confirmed my thinking that the 8 card was too big for me. I have so little cards that i cant even fill a 6 card wallet LOL.

Pitty i didnt get to visit April in Paris.

7. TimelesStyle

Glad to hear you got what you wanted! While coated canvas isn't my personal taste, I thought that the wallets at Goyard were better designed than anywhere else showing canvas (LV or even Moynat). They were incredibly flat and compact and the coating felt more flexible and less brittle than LV.

8. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

You want it buy it. If not then someone who might be making less money than you will.

I would suggest just going to one of there boutiques.

9. TimelesStyle

I just bought another Valextra card case and it arrived yesterday. Name cachet aside, I think it's difficult to say that a comparable Hermes case is worth twice the price (or more). Construction is great and leather appears of great quality (even nicer than the previous Valextra I had). Now, I know we all have a tendency to be bias towards the brands/pieces we actually choose, but in the wallet dept. I'd have no qualms about putting the two head to head. Plus, based on anecdotes here I'd say that Valextra is infinitely easier/more pleasant to deal with.

10. outline

outline Well-Known Member

Hermes has this small folding wallet for around 800. Can't find it online. Any help?

All those images under google search for hermes folding wallet is not it. It's a bit bigger than size of a credit card tri folds i believe.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  11. TimelesStyle

Try looking at their European website (uk.hermes.com is in English) so you can at least find a pic or style name. There is often a more extensive selection there, even though you can't ship to the US.