Advise on Hermes mens wallet

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by takashi78, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

how unfortunate

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

How about a really expensive haircut?

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Wow. I never thought wallets could be such a controversial topic.

Hi Takashi,

I did briefly consider an Hermes wallet a few years ago, but I decided it was too much money for a very small piece of leather, although I do appreciate that they use a double saddle stitch which is very strong and durable. For me it wasn't simply the price that caused me not to buy it, it was the fact that it was only leather and not croc , aligator or something exotic for that money. Also, as someone that worked at stores that sold leather goods (hand bags, wallets, and briefcases), wallets are one of the least durable items a person can buy. Often times people overstuff them, stretching the skin and stitching, and they look like junk in 3 years. If you are going to use it everyday, its just not going to last very long. In the end, I saw a beautiful Ralph Lauren alligator wallet, and the inside panels of the wallet were also lined in aligator (many times crocodile/alligator wallets use calf skin on parts other than the exterior surface). It was originally more expensive than the Hermes calfskin wallet, but it was on sale, and RL had sent a coupon for an additional discount and it ended up costly me about $200 less than the Hermes.

I don't use my RL alligator wallet everyday. For everyday use I have a Porsche Design wallet with a pebble grain finish (in dark green) that has held up quite well. Pebble grain hides scratches pretty well and tends to be a bit more rugged/durable than smooth calfskin. I bought the RL because I wanted a nice wallet for evenings out with my wife, or if I'm very dressed up. I don't want to be wearing a nice suit and have a ratty looking everyday wallet when I go to pay for things. To me its a little like wearing a cheap watch or cheap cufflinks with a nice suit. My watch and/or cufflinks are under my shirt sleeves most times so they only gets appreciated when I specifically check the time, but I know they are there and I know they are good quality. I've owned lots of wallets over the years (several were gifts) LV, Gucci, Prada, Porsche Design, and I've generally found most brands if used everyday rarely look good beyond 3 years.

I really like Hermes leather goods. I think they make some of the best leather goods, and my wife has 3 of their handbags. Their hand bags are considerably more expensive than most offerings from LV, Prada, Gucci, Bottega Veneta, Ferragamo etc, but a hand bag is larger, requires more matterial and you can see more of the workmanship on a handbag than on a wallet, hence I think it makes more sense for people to buy their handbags than their wallets.

Below is a quick photo of my alligator wallet.
    Best regards,
    Dino
    [​IMG]

Quick inside view showing alligator inside rather than calf
    [​IMG]

4. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

All jokes aside, I would urge you, if you're still there OP, to read that thread linked earlier on that everyone keeps referencing and see if you still *want* a wallet from H (see how annoying that single letter abbreviation is?). The company has a general attitude that comes across only too clearly in Matt's exchange, which corroborates the stuff you'd read in Bringing Home the Birkin. It's not a company I'd be happy to support or look forward to a "relationship" with. This is likely where a lot of the attitude comes from in other people's responses, also.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  5. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

What are the details on those cufflinks, simply awesome!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  6. takashi78

takashi78 Senior member

Thanks Dino for the reply!

Yup i read mamoofan's thread and was one of the first few i read on this forum. I do agree to an extent on what happened to him.

Fact is, i live in Malaysia so i do not have access to small artisans which makes these products for less, even if i do order from online, it will end up getting taxed heavily when it reaches me.

I am however traveling to San Francisco in a yrs time so maybe i will check out some shops there and April In Paris that a lot of you are speaking highly of.

Reason i am posting here is also the Hermes website has little to none pics of the wallet.

But i am also open to other ideas.

7. plei89

plei89 Senior member

I use a crocodile card holder, and don't ever carry more than $30 with me... haha, I don't know why people don't switch to plastic.

8. plei89

plei89 Senior member

+1 on those cufflinks :slayer:

9. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

You must be new here. NOOB.

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Hi takashi78, mind me asking, do you know this guy? www.sohighfashion.blogspot.com I believe he's a fellow countryman of yours. He goes by the name of Hermes Man on SF. A self confessed brand whore, describes himself as "Chinese Alpha Male".

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  11. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

I cannot discuss that at this time.

12. entrero

entrero Senior member

You two

[​IMG]

13. Star

Star Senior member

I know its not Hermes however have you considered a Bally Wallet? Very sharp and durable for a daily wearing wallet. The pictured below has a coin pouch but I am sure there are models without.

Have you also considered a nice card holder? (Hermes or other) Suprise suprise I have a Bally card holder in a similar style to the below that I use when I go out to bard and etc. Nice and thin and just enough slots for ID, Credit Card and some cash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

[​IMG]

Hermes belt, Hermes scarf oh so frenchman.. so elegant.

what a joke this guy is. but maybe I'm biased since he's listing shark fin soup as his favorite of all the soups....

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  15. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

:slayer:
    [​IMG]
    Not Hermes though.