• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advise on Dress Shirts

DShareef

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for your help. I'm looking for some guidance on the best dress shirts that can be had for less than $75. I'm an 18 x 36 and prefer a trim fit. I prefer French Cuff.

Looking for designer names, locations, prices and perhaps rankings.

Thanks again.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the current sale at JCrew? Some of their fabrics are from Thomas Mason. Folks here also seem to think that the Brooks Brothers slim cut shirts are fairly nice.

DShareef

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Has anyone heard of TM Lewin? Any thoughts on quality and value?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use the search function on the forum to find out about various shirtmakers.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DShareef
Thanks in advance for your help. I'm looking for some guidance on the best dress shirts that can be had for less than $75. I'm an 18 x 36 and prefer a trim fit. I prefer French Cuff.

Looking for designer names, locations, prices and perhaps rankings.

Thanks again.

Here's what I generally do:

Brooks Brothers slim fit carries 18 x 36, $75 for a non-iron and 3 for $189. It's not really "slim", but it should be about 5 inches thinner than the regular fit.

You can also do semi-custom at Lands End. the basics solids are about $50 or $60, and it goes up to $130 from there. I did a basic 80's white shirt (about $67 with tax and shipping) with french cuffs this way (I wanted something without a pocket, and nearly everything from BB comes with a pocket).

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Here's what I generally do:

Brooks Brothers slim fit carries 18 x 36, $75 for a non-iron and 3 for $189. It's not really "slim", but it should be about 5 inches thinner than the regular fit.

You can also do semi-custom at Lands End. the basics solids are about $50 or $60, and it goes up to $130 from there. I did a basic 80's white shirt (about $67 with tax and shipping) with french cuffs this way (I wanted something without a pocket, and nearly everything from BB comes with a pocket).

There's always Jantzen - or Baron Boutique for that matter. The pro's and con's of going through Jantzen had been discussed at great length here, in various threads. Baron eliminates some of the hassles - much quicker turnaround, more responsive service - but with significant trade-off that you have far fewer choices in terms of fabrics and fun styling options (and, in my limited experience, inferior fabric as well as fewer choices of patterns/colors).
With either, you should be able to get a shirt tailored to your measurements, with the type of fit you want, for well within your budget.

DShareef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
There's always Jantzen - or Baron Boutique for that matter. The pro's and con's of going through Jantzen had been discussed at great length here, in various threads. Baron eliminates some of the hassles - much quicker turnaround, more responsive service - but with significant trade-off that you have far fewer choices in terms of fabrics and fun styling options (and, in my limited experience, inferior fabric as well as fewer choices of patterns/colors).
With either, you should be able to get a shirt tailored to your measurements, with the type of fit you want, for well within your budget.

Great advise. Thanks. Are both of these in NYC? Thanks again. Anyone else have thoughts on Lewin or maybe Paul Fredrick? Thanks.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great advise. Thanks. Are both of these in NYC? Thanks again. Anyone else have thoughts on Lewin or maybe Paul Fredrick? Thanks.

I think Baron and Jantzen are both overseas internet manufacturers. You mail (or email) them you're measurements, and credit card number, and hopefully get a shirt. In Janzten's case, hopefully in less than 6 months. Sometimes longer. Sometimes never.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add, Jantzen's quality is well-known to be very good for the price. Baron, on the other hand, is more of an unknown quantity.

mumbojumbo

Reaction score
Based on my experience, i would rather call Jantzen's quality (construction and fabric) mediocre (even for the price).

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Without meaning to pick an argument with mumbojumbo, I think it's fair to say that his opinion is very much in the minority re Jantzen's quality (although it does often take people until their second Jantzen order to get the fit right, which is why you should always start with a single-shirt order with either Jantzen or Baron). The real issue with Janzten is they are swamped with orders and are terrible about responsiveness and customer service, so there's really no saying when your shirts will arrive. Most of us who use them are happy enough with the end product that we're willing to put up with that, but it definitely is a hassle and not the way to go if you're in a hurry.
I know Jovan has used Baron Boutique, so he may be able to comment on them. I have ordered two shirts from them as an experiment. Both are fine, although a step down in quality from Jantzen, at least as far as the fabric (construction seems solid in my non-expert opinion). I prefer most to most mass-produced OTR dress shirts you'll find in department stores and the like, because the custom fit is so much better (especially given the price). The positives of BB as opposed to Jantzen is that they're organized, responsive, courteous, and quick (I think each shirt arrived in about 2 weeks, certainly no more than three, with good email communication along the way.)
Anyway, if you're inclined to check them out, they're at jantzentailor.com and baronboutique.com. As I think I mentioned, if you search the forum you'll find many threads discussing the various pros and cons of Jantzen in particular, which a number of people here use.

AJB

Reaction score
recently got 4 shirts from lewin - all in the luxury line. Fit was very nice although the collar was a bit tight - i tried one in the next size but it was too big. shipping can be pricey - but the 4 for 100 pounds was a good deal. Over all I would recomnend. I also hear that they are always on sale. Hope that helps

cpac

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Has anyone heard of TM Lewin? Any thoughts on quality and value?

if you get them at the 4 for 100 GBP they're a good deal. They aren't all that slim fitting, but the fabrics are great, and at roughly $50 each including shipping you can afford to get them tailored a bit.

mumbojumbo

Reaction score
Without meaning to pick an argument with mumbojumbo, I think it's fair to say that his opinion is very much in the minority

At least i do not persuade myself that jantzen shirts are $200+ value.*

I have ordered two shirts from them (Baron Boutique) as an experiment. Both are fine, although a step down in quality from Jantzen, at least as far as the fabric (construction seems solid in my non-expert opinion).

It's a pity that their shirts are even below jantzen-grade quality, because i was almost considering to give them a try.

*was not meant personally

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads