• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advise on an upcoming event - Cognac Shoes

Jstar22

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a newbie on this forum. So glad I found this site! Lots of great info.

I just bought a nice pair of cognac dress shoes and I have an upcoming wedding to attend. I wanted to showcase these new shoes but not sure exactly what to do with them. the formality of the wedding would seem to be slacks, dress shirt and tie (no coat.

From what Ive seen Brown, navy, Grey pants all seem to go with that color of shoe. Black pants seem to have a 50/50 consensus on cognac shoes.

Any suggestions on what color shirt/tie would go with different color slacks.

EXAMPLE: Tan slacks, black shirt, earth color tie.

I have a killer pair of black slacks but not sure where to go from there. Let me know if you have any suggestions for me.

MUCH APPRECIATED !!

J

lestyr3

Reaction score
A couple points:
1. Good idea starting with the shoes.
2. Don't wear black pants with brown shoes. Those do NOT go with any shoes except black ones (from what I've seen my opinion is close to the consensus one). The reason why is that brown shoes with black pants don't make your feet look like an organic part of your body - they stick out, and they won't be flattering. To my eye, if you're short, it'll look like your feet are cut off from your legs, which'll call attention to being short; if you're tall, they'll also make the distance between your shirt and your shoes look especially long. What you want is for your torso, legs, and feet to all look like they're part of a unified whole with each harmonizing with the other (do NOT interpret to mean as "all the same color" - they should complement).
3. Think again about wearing a sport coat with the pants, or else ditch the tie. In general, a look with just a tie and no coat is going to be wrong for a wedding; reeks too much of working in an office. If you do go with a sport coat, go for something not ostentatious.

For a recommendation with the shoes: Navy pants, tan or light blue shirt, gray sportcoat & silver/black wedding tie (tie & coat optional).

Jstar22

Reaction score
Lestyr3:

Great points !!! Especially about the "office look" Never realized that unitl now.

What about grey slacks? What color shirt would that go good with? Maybe a black shirt with no tie?

I have a good slim fit grey slacks

Thanks,

J

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The blind leading the blind thus far.

Last edited:

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A couple points: 
1. Good idea starting with the shoes. 
2. Don't wear black pants with brown shoes.  Those do NOT go with any shoes except black ones (from what I've seen my opinion is close to the consensus one).  The reason why is that brown shoes with black pants don't make your feet look like an organic part of your body - they stick out, and they won't be flattering.  To my eye, if you're short, it'll look like your feet are cut off from your legs, which'll call attention to being short; if you're tall, they'll also make the distance between your shirt and your shoes look especially long.  What you want is for your torso, legs, and feet to all look like they're part of a unified whole with each harmonizing with the other (do NOT interpret to mean as "all the same color" - they should complement).   
3. Think again about wearing a sport coat with the pants, or else ditch the tie.  In general, a look with just a tie and no coat is going to be wrong for a wedding; reeks too much of working in an office.   If you do go with a sport coat, go for something not ostentatious. 

For a recommendation with the shoes:  Navy pants, tan or light blue shirt, gray sportcoat & silver/black wedding tie (tie & coat optional).

:eh:

lestyr3

Reaction score
Gray slacks with those shoes should be better than black. I'd call them probably good.

Black shirt with that should be okay, though if it's during the daytime you might consider something lighter for the sake of temperature control (I'm assuming this is a wedding during the summer and the daytime). A couple ideas besides black for the shirt: Try green or light blue.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, get rid of your black pants. That will also take care of solving your dilema about the brown shoes with black pants.

Don't wear a tie with no jacket to the wedding, or ever. You should either ditch the tie or wear a jacket. Since this is a wedding (I am taking your word for it that the event is informal enough that you should not be wearing a suit), go with the jacket. A navy blazer is probably the way to go here, but don't wear it with navy pants. Gray or brown would work.

Quote:
Don't wear a black shirt.

I would probably also avoid the wedding tie (grey patterned tie that resolves to solid a few feet away) unless you are planning on wearing an actual suit.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you tell us what brand/model the shoes are? Do you have any pictures?

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shirt is OK as fuel for the barbecue, if you're going to have any.

Seriously, don't wear a black shirt. For a summer daytime wedding and with tan shoes, I'd pick light shades of everything. Khaki slacks, white shirt, light grey/cream sportcoat and light pink tie for example, but there are many more possible combos...

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I reread your original post, and realized that the black shirt was originally your idea, so I now realize that you need more help than I initially thought.

What is your complexion and hair color? That should ultimately determine how much contrast you want between your shirt, tie and jacket. That might be aiming a bit high for this thread though, so I will just offer some basic suggestions. I would suggest a lighter color shirt with a darker tie. You can't go wrong with white for the shirt, but light blue and light pink are also safe colors.

rohde88

Reaction score

Black shirt is OK as fuel for the barbecue, if you're going to have any.

Seriously, don't wear a black shirt. For a summer daytime wedding and with tan shoes, I'd pick light shades of everything. Khaki slacks, white shirt, light grey/cream sportcoat and light pink tie for example, but there are many more possible combos...

Well, the black shirt is useful if he wants to be mistaken as a server. He can slip into the kitchen with ease.

Jstar22

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I bought these @ Macy's.. Johnston & Murphy.

I Graduated college last year and just recently got a new job in marketing. My budget for getting a new closet is tight, but I have a couple pairs of awesome shoes (one tan, one black) dress shirts, white, black, blue, pink, and I am getting a couple suits hopefully today. PLUS the wedding is tomorrow !

It is a casual affair. So that's why, slacks and as shirt might be the way to go. Plus its going to be 91 degrees tomorrow.

No black shirt huh? Another reason I'm glad to be apart of here.

So I guess I go back to,

With these shoes, what color slacks, and what color shirt w/ no tie would really set it off. The consensus seems to be navy, gray, or Khaki slacks, with a lighter color shirt, blue, white, ? NO BLACK! lol

Thanks !!

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^ :fu:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads