• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advie on this Isai purchase from STP

DaveDr89

Reaction score
All,
just got this Isaia 54R (Base V model) Navy pencil stripe 2-button suit from STP.
Looks great and fits very nice in the shoulders, but the jacket holes/buttons do not seem aligned in the vertical direction which seems to be causing an unseemly ripple when buttoned and when the jacket it sitting properly on my shoulders. The buttons also seem very close to the edge in the horizontal direction as well. See pics; also included are comparison pics with a darker Navy Corneliani that does not have this issue. Two questions:
1) for those that have Isaia, do you notice this?
2) should I have my tailor attempt to fix this or send it back? not sure if I can get another in the same style from STP as I think this was the last one.
Thanks!
D

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
If button isn't lined up with the buttonhole, a tailor could just move the button. If it *is* lined up, then it's probably a pressing problem that a good tailor should be able to take care of with a dry iron. I've seen this happen on some fine-fabriced Italian suits (Belvest for instance), and it has always been rather easily fixed.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
I think it's the buttonhole not being lined up, since the ripple goes away if I re-adjust the jacket so that is sits differently (and incorrectly) on my shoulders. I'm just surpised that such an error would be made on an Isaia suit?

Doc4

Reaction score
Maybe your shoulders aren't alligned?
eh.gif

I suspect you had intended to take the suit to a good tailor for alterations anyhow, so take it to him and see if he thinks it is improperly made, and whether or not he can fix the problem (and how much $$$ to do it.) Then you can decide whether to keep it or return it.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
yeah, I plan to do that, but was just wondering if anyone had any experience like this w/ Isaia suits. This is my first Isaia. I tried on several at the local Neiman Marcus to get the size right and liked the fit in the shoulders and the minimal shoulder padding ... one other thing I noticed about this one was that although there isn't a lot of shoulder padding, it isn't minimal like the ones I saw at NM. perhaps it's an older model since it was on closeout at STP?

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveDr89
yeah, I plan to do that, but was just wondering if anyone had any experience like this w/ Isaia suits. This is my first Isaia. I tried on several at the local Neiman Marcus to get the size right and liked the fit in the shoulders and the minimal shoulder padding ... one other thing I noticed about this one was that although there isn't a lot of shoulder padding, it isn't minimal like the ones I saw at NM. perhaps it's an older model since it was on closeout at STP?

I don't necessarily think it is specific to Isaia, just possibly to this suit on you. I've had the sides taken in on a coat before and during the try-on at the tailor he re-marked where he wanted the button to hit and moved it while I waited. I'd bet it'll be an easily correctable thing.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
thanks ... possibly, but also note that it looks quite odd on the hanger as well. I'll take it to the tailor and see what he says ... I like the suit and got it at a great price so hope it can be fixed ..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads