• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice: Trousers with Black/White Herringbone Tweed Jacket

dthomp35

Reaction score
I know dark jeans work well with this jacket, but Im looking for something a bit more dressed up. I am going to a bar NYE that says "Cocktail Attire". What is the best way to dress up this jacket?

Below is the jacket I have.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charcoal grey so that the effect is lighter jacket darker contrasting trousers. You don't want them too close in color.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Charcoal grey so that the effect is lighter jacket darker contrasting trousers. You don't want them too close in color.

Really don't like that combo. Northern lights

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd have to go with Gus on this one. Charcoal grey seems to me to be the best option, especially for evening. White shirt, dark tie. I think you need the contrast.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an alternative, I use dark brown quite a bit with my black/white herringbone tweed coat. Dark brown flannels, dark brown cords, dark brown chinos, etc.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have trouble pairing mine. I got the suggestion to try off white flannels which I will try.

Does "oatmeal" flannel qualify as off-white?

20170304Rollneck.jpg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one is fascinating because the item in question is so prevalent in RTW, and often done in bespoke, yet rarely seen on WAYWN or just on the street, meaning a lot of people buy it, a lot of stylists want it sold, and then nobody can make it work.

I think it is a very challenging item. I own two, one bespoke in an Italian cashmere with very light blue flecks, one rougher RL without flecks; neither has been worn much because it is so hard to find the right match, and the trousers are the biggest challenge. I think it is hard for two reasons: first, it is medium in darkness, not dark, not light; and so contrast is hard to achieve if that is your goal, and (IMHO) it works best with a "similar tones" approach than any attempt at high contrast. The second reason is that it is undecided between country and town. Tweed, and herringbone, and the tonal texture of a mix of black and white which is obvious even from a medium distance, are very much country. The sobriety of grey is more city, which is why this pattern is often found on overcoats. The popularity of the look and its frequency of appearance on now dated TV shows usually on middle aged law enforcement officers, add to the problem.

Personally I default to chinos/cords in navy or mustard. The former because grey goes well with navy; but you do get a bit of a Northern Lights effect. You know what they say about rules. The mustard or beige chinos are tonally closer to the jacket and with a white shirt and boring tie again in a medium tone achieve an understated look. British countryside middle class in grey, cold, late autumn, perhaps in Malvern or East Anglia. Club ties are complicated because the herringbone creates self-striping and it is hard to balance it with the tie striping. A dark jumper in a country colour (for me, usually forest green) ties the navy to the top half.

I respectfully disagree with the much more experienced dressers above. To me (smooth) charcoal belongs to a suit and even in flannel seems discordant with the tweed. Off white tones (ivory, cream, "oatmeal") are quite bright and may work with a smaller pattern and softer material like cashmere but would again clash with a real, rough tweed which resolves to smooth grey from a greater distance. Might work with a pink shirt?

Either way, I look forward to seeing what members have made work with this item.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worn again today this time with brown moleskin pants:
20171012Sitting.jpg

I can't imagine why one would think it's hard to pair, here it is with green:
20170309Full.jpg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worn again today this time with brown moleskin pants:
View attachment 856735

I can't imagine why one would think it's hard to pair, here it is with green:
View attachment 856738
The first fit works well, even if it is very American. However, IMHO the difficulty is threading the thin line between understated and boring and the second fit (which I have worn almost identically, except my brown suede shoes were loafers) crosses it.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never thought of boring as being a problem with clothing. In fact, the vast majority of the time that is exactly my goal. If boring is a negative, then I would definitely avoid a jacket like mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads