• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice: suit feels a little off

langdon

Reaction score
Long time lurker...

anyway, I was planning on wearing this suit to a wedding in a couple of weeks and when i look at it on something just feels a little bit off. Like I almost have it right but some detail or element just skews the look and I haven't been able to put my finger on it.

Maybe its my imagination but I welcome anyone's advice or critique.

Pic 1
pic 2
pic 3

superfans124

Reaction score
I'm also a new member here.

off the bat, the sleeves are too long, you need to take an inch off, the sleeves should end at your wrist bone to allow more shirt cuffs showing. you should show as much cuff as much you are showing that nice pocket square. 2nd, do not button the buttom button. 3rd, just personal taste, but I think you'd look sharper if you have a tailor make some adjustments, slim the sleeves a little bit, and take in the waiste a little to show some flair on the skirt.

bbigsby

Reaction score
Sleeves and jacket are too long. Also, you're buttoning incorrectly. I'll let the experts chime in from here...

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to what they said - it may be the way you are standing but your left sleeve looks longer than the right.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to say that your jacket is a size too large for you. But nothing much you can do about it now, it isnt comically large so I wouldn't purchase a new one just yet. But return it if you can.

If you can't exchange the suit for a smaller size, take it to an alterations tailor and have them take up the sleeves by an inch.

Btw, unbutton your bottom button and do up your top one. Your jacket's lapel roll doesn't accomodate a three roll two.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your jacket collar seems to be standing off your shirt collar.

axe

Reaction score
Button only the middle or the top two buttons, never the lower one.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The skirt doesnt flair enough, needs more waist suppression but that could just be the fact you've buttoned the bottom button.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
Much too big

I wonder... It's hard to tell where his shoulders are sitting inside the jacket due to the dark colour, but it seems a reasonable fit, so perhaps going from an R to an S or L to an R (depending on the size) with some waist suppression might do the trick?.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket appears too long, which is accentuated by the high stance and 3/3 roll.

Also, try to steer clear of the dark suit/ black tie/ white shirt combo. Especially for a summertime wedding. Unless looking like a chauffeur is your goal, of course.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
More important than anything else, the jacket looks like it might be slightly too big in the shoulders. Is it? I can't totally tell from the photos, but I just get that sense for some reason. At any rate, if the shoulders are larger than your own, get a new suit and sell or return this one. No amount of tailoring voodoo is worth undertaking if the shoulders don't fit.

Try buying one size down next time and see how it feels.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The left sleeve is a little longer than the right, it is also uneven in the shoulders but that could be because you have the bottom buttoned buttoned which you should never do.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
basically what everyone else said. 'visually' it is the sleeve that needs to be taken up a bit and the quarters need to be opened up a bit so just unbutton your last button.

but however you said , "something just feels a little bit off"

im not sure if you meant visually or the suit actually doesnt feel correct on you.

in that case, i dont think the sleeves have anything to do with it, but a sizing issue. i cant tell if it is the latter, because you would have to describe what you feel instead of just photos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads