• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice: Style Overhaul

dollartce

Reaction score
Hi There,

This one might be a bit much - but I've recently split up with my long-term girlfriend and am ready for a complete change in style. It was quite a complicated situation but I'm out of work (or freelance), we have a flat together and we moved to a new city together. She's now moved back to her hometown and I'm in a very strange position with the chance for a new start, but its one I want to make a huge step.

At the moment I dress very casual, mostly jeans and loose t-shirts, hoodies, nike high-tops etc. I only wear button-up shirts on special occasions (and only own one black one) and never wear smart trousers or shoes. As you can probably tell from the short description of my usual dress I dont have much style sense, but I'd like this to develop and I'd like to be really stylish from now on.

Body-wise I'm quite short around 5"5, slim 28" waist with quite wide shoulders. I've a pale complexion, green/blue eyes with shoulder length blonde hair parted in the middle. I've also got a beard at the moment, but it was something my ex liked and I can take or leave it.

I went shopping recently with my ex in an attempt to get some smarter clothes, but just left with a pair of caramel chinos, and a grey crew neck jumper. I have been thinking about light denim shirts and a tan mac, but as I said I dont have much style sense.

I understand this is a pretty big thing to ask, but if anyone has any advice at all I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chinos are good. Get them fairly slim, or at least a straight fit with some form to it, think the dockers D2. Especially as you're a smaller guy, you'll get lost in baggy clothing. Get the colors you like and look good on you. I pretty much always wear stone or olive. I have other colors, but those are my defaults. Save the black and navy for later, it's very, very easy to look like a waiter or somebody else forced to wear a specific color pant for work. They can be done right, but wait on those.

Jeans are fine too- but make sure the fit is right and they're not gaudily decorated. No massive pocket embroidery. Get them as dark as possible, no distressing or whatever. Let them lighten up as you wear them, it's a more natural look and looks a million times better than fake distressing or the uniform lightness of stonewash. Go with a traditional straight fit- the heritage brands are always a decent option, Levis 501, 514, Lee Regular, or Wangler's Cowboy Cut (13 MWZ) or slim cowboy cut (which are a very slim straight cut).

I don't know what you have now, but if they work, keep them.

Shirts- you should generally be buying lighter colors, since they're a far cry more versatile. Dark colors can be used, but it's harder. You'll want to find slim fit oxfords, which are a common enough item these days. Uniquo is often recommended if you're in or near NY and can get a hold of them. Lands' End and LL Bean have options if you can't find 'em anywhere else. J Crew will have stuff like that, basically any store that cuts it's teeth on actually being stylish rather than just covering our body.

Knit shirts- polos are great if you have summer weather that requires short sleeves. I recommend avoiding single color plain ones. Get ones with interesting stripes, they're not hard to find. Again, make sure they fit. There's little that looks worse then a baggy polo.

Sweaters/jumpers: you should get a bunch, climate allowing. Cotton with one or two wool if you live in a warmer climate, lots of both cotton (for fall/spring) and wool/cashmere/alpaca if you're in a cooler one. Medium gray, navy, burgundy, dark green, cream should get you started. They don't have to be slim, but they do have to fit.

Shoes: toss the running shoes out the window (metaphorically). They look ugly, and believe it or not, your feet don't actually need all the overdesign. In fact, a bunch of studies these days are saying that they're healthier without it, since they get to build up their own muscles and work as designed. Burgundy penny loafers, A suede buck, some canvas sneakers, perhaps a sleeker leather sneaker. Socks should match the pant- no more white athletic socks. And don't be afraid of fun patterns- stripes and argyles add a nice touch when your trouser lifts and people suddenly see the sock.

As for facial stylings, that's completely up to you. Good luck on your journey. Remember not to buy it all at once, take it slowly. You may want to rush in, but as you venture in you'll figure out what you personally like and dislike, and will be able to adjust accordingly.

dollartce

Reaction score
I'm used to wearing baggy clothes. They've been getting gradually less baggy as I've got older but I think now's the time to wear something that actually fits - and hopefully looks good at the same time! Most of the jeans I have are pretty worn now, and even then they're loose fitting skate jeans mostly, I've got a cheap pair of smart black trousers.The chinos I got on the last shopping trip are caramelly color with a sort of "carrot" cut.

Should I be going for any other kind of shirts or just oxfords? Shouldn't be a problem but I have no experience with shirts having barely ever worn any, only for special occassions really. I've never owned any polo shirts and cant recall ever wearing one. Should the shirts be worn with or without ties? if without how many buttons usually is acceptable to undo?

I was kinda hoping I could get my casual style to be quite smart by my current standards, but still quite stylish. I'd like to ditch the loose fitting jeans and simple t-shirts for the most part. I found a photo of a stylish casual look and wasn't sure if it was the sort of thing to go for: http://www.kinowear.com/blog/kinowear-style-pick-rebel-class. I'd also like to have a really stylish smart look that I go for quite often, for nights out, special occassions etc. Any advice on how to pull this off would be great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads