• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice; Stores for Mens Beach/Island Dress wear

stretch55

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
So next June I am going on a really nice tropical island vacation and would like to get some nice
button (short and long) sleeve shirts and casual long pants (light colors) to wear at night at dinner. I am 6' 3" 175 lbs so getting stuff
that fits is challenging sometimes lol Anyway, I am based in the northeast of the U.S.
What stores would be best to check for island vacation dress wear ?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not much of a beach/resort wear kind of guy, but you could look at Vilebrequin. A bit pricey, but hey, after lockdowns and Covid, treat yourself.

Last edited:

notdos

Reaction score
Depending on the quality you’re shopping for, you might take a look at Tommy Bahama.

Phillip

Leiker

Reaction score
I can't speak to the quality of their products, but I like a lot of the looks.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll second Tommy Bahama for shirts anyway. They have some very muted patterns as well as their older style very floral patterns. They sell both silk and linen shirts - which are my go to materials for hot weather. While some of their patterns might not be great for inland wear, for tropical island wear they are right at home

If you get some silk shirts from their or elsewhere, get yourself some linen pants for going out to club or fine dining.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For shirts you might consider some Cuban-style linen guayaberas. A great thing about guayaberas (besides being old Hollywood stylish) is they have so many pockets which are nice at the beach when you're not wearing a tailored jacket to hold stuff, and you have a religious exemption to the cargo short mandate. The ones made (in Asia) by J. Edwards would be good for your size as they are available in longer lengths. I'm also tall and have owned a few of theirs over the years; no complaints.

Proper Cloth also has nice Japanese rayon fabrics in traditional Hawaiian prints which you can order with camp collars etc. But given the season, the fabric selection in tropical prints might be limited right now. (I know, tough luck for Aussies.)

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Check out Reyn Spooner, Gitman Vintage, Self Edge, Two Palms, Roberta Oaks, and Scott Fraser Simpson.

jc8715

Reaction score
If you like linen sports shirts Brooks brothers has end of season sale stuff right now. I am 6'2" and find the sleeve length good. You probably have the same problem I do with casual shirts being hit or miss with sleeve length. Not sure your price point but very reasonable at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics