• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice sought re: Cartier watch for wife (pics included)

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
she might want pink now... but will she regret it later??

Lord Nonsie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by atila
I agree with the above poster, like I said in my original post, I would personally get my significant other exactly what she wants - she will be the one wearing it, after all.

And I'm a little bit bored at work with some free time so I searched up that particular model on authenticwatches.com....

http://www.authenticwatches.com/ladiesroadster.html

$3,875

Not too bad.

I also agree with these posts! I made the mistake once of buying my fiance a pair of earrings that I though she would love (and she does) but were the more expensive version of the ones she picked out. It was an expensive mistake!

I also grew up in the industry and the watch prices on authenticwatches.com are about as good as you will get, anywhere.

suited&booted

Reaction score
Hey A,

Received the pants. Thanks.

Go for what she wants. Less post-purchase drama.

I bought my wife a Mulberry Alexa in chestnutty calf brown and she hated it. She would have preferred a more funky on-trend colour...well she is 10 years younger than me. I guess I was using my own filters about classic colours etc... So the bag is sitting in our store room. Just hope my 3 year old daughter likes it when she's old enuff.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pink. It is subtle. Won't go out of fashion.

Originally Posted by theyare
Hey guys - just wanted to get input as I am about purchase a new Cartier watch for my wife. She is set on the Roadster. The debate is the pink dial vs white dial. She really likes the pink dial currently. As this is a large purchase for us and the watch will be meant to last for years, just want to make sure it doesn't come off as too "fashion-y" that will be undesirable 5 years down the road. The pink is pretty subtle in person ( more like a light rose color), but it's definitely there.

Anyone care to chime in? thanks! For background she is in her low 30s.

Sorry - pics only of the watches, not the wife!
Cartier-Womens-Roadster-Pink-Dial.jpg

white-1.jpg

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord Nonsie
I also agree with these posts! I made the mistake once of buying my fiance a pair of earrings that I though she would love (and she does) but were the more expensive version of the ones she picked out. It was an expensive mistake!

I also grew up in the industry and the watch prices on authenticwatches.com are about as good as you will get, anywhere.

Going to agree and disagree at the same time. Authenticwatches.com is a good place to gauge, within about 5%, the price you can get any watch for, BNIB from an AUTHORIZED RETAILER, with minimal effort. I have two watches that are currently available on AW's website, a Rolex and an IWC, both of which I got for less money from an AD (and both were special order items, too).

My advice? Have a look on that site, see what prices they're asking, then visiting ADs with the idea that you're going to open negotiations about 10% lower than AW lists the watch for. Your best bet is to start with a Cartier retailer that you (or a friend or family member) has a relationship with. Skip the Cartier store, Tourneau and some other large chains and look at independent jewelers.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

atila

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Going to agree and disagree at the same time. Authenticwatches.com is a good place to gauge, within about 5%, the price you can get any watch for, BNIB from an AUTHORIZED RETAILER, with minimal effort. I have two watches that are currently available on AW's website, a Rolex and an IWC, both of which I got for less money from an AD (and both were special order items, too). My advice? Have a look on that site, see what prices they're asking, then visiting ADs with the idea that you're going to open negotiations about 10% lower than AW lists the watch for. Your best bet is to start with a Cartier retailer that you (or a friend or family member) has a relationship with. Skip the Cartier store, Tourneau and some other large chains and look at independent jewelers.
It is always best to go to an authorized retailer as your first option, but like I mentioned, it might be hard to find depending on where he lives. With that said, considering the prices on AW.com, you're not going to find much better unless you happen to have a authorized dealer nearby - not really a luxury everyone has.

Watchaholic

Reaction score
Great watch the Roadster, had the original model when it was first released but out grew it eventually. As for the colour, I would suggest since you are buying it for your wife, get her one which she really wants just to make her that slightly bit happier. I did get a very small discount at Cartier Dubai Burjuman once but I have been told this is not usually the case, anyway an AD as Captain Winky suggested is the way to go.

Pretty much most retailers should and will in fact give you a discount and the joy of taking your wife in with you to pick up her watch will beat a ugly box being delivered in the mail any day of the week.... atila might disagree but he/she does seem to be pushing AW rather hard for a new user... mmm I wonder why.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
With your wealth of industry knowledge, can you please explain why it's a good deal to spend almost $4k on a quartz watch?

Because that's what his wife wants. You know the phrase...

atila

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
With your wealth of industry knowledge, can you please explain why it's a good deal to spend almost $4k on a quartz watch?
hahahahaha it's definitely a personal preference. In our business, we always say, jewelry is a personal thing. Not saying I agree with it, but hey, some people want high fashion regardless of quality or value. Cartier watches, although quartz, generally hold up well. I do watch repairs often and usually do not run into too many Cartier overhauls. I personally wear a Rado Integral with no fancy diamonds or anything. It is a $2k watch (before my discount) but hey, at least it's a Swiss movement. :p Also, to the guy accusing me of basically trying to sell a website, I'm not. I already agreed an Authorized Dealer is the best way to go, I think I might have even mentioned that in my original post. But guess what, not everyone lives near an Authorized Dealer. Obviously going into a jewelry store is the best bet, and would be the most "fun" for her, I agree 100%. Not to mention you can haggle the price down. BUT if you do not have access to one, a website like AW is available TO EVERYONE and is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than retail. That was my only point. Then again, you could be right and I may very well be a spy from AW trying to give them some free advertising. ****, I hope they're paying me for this.

pablo

Reaction score
Have you considered a Rolex Perpetual Datejust with roman numeral dial?

I thought about both Roadsters for my wife until I saw the Rolex on a woman's wrist. Just something to think about...

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a gift. Get her what she wants. If she outgrows the color, she can always sell it and get something else. The Cartier Roadsters are fairly popular. You shouldn't have any problems reselling it if it ever comes to that.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atila
hahahahaha it's definitely a personal preference. In our business, we always say, jewelry is a personal thing.

Not saying I agree with it, but hey, some people want high fashion regardless of quality or value. Cartier watches, although quartz, generally hold up well. I do watch repairs often and usually do not run into too many Cartier overhauls.

I understand the argument that it holds its value well, so if you realize later on that you want to move away from a quartz watch, you're not (that much) out of pocket. However, $4k for a SS quartz just seems puzzling to me; where's the value? I think your reference to "jewelry" is well taken, in that it then becomes something intangible. Great Cartier marketing; interesting to see their profit margins (before marketing expense).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads