• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice sought on restoring colour of Santonis

sidvar

Reaction score
With my hat doffed to the schuhemeisters here, I would love some advice on the following issue. I just bought a pair of Santoni Brendens in rust (allegedly). They seemed darker than they ought to be but I guess I just hoped the camera and flash were playing tricks. They've just arrived today. They fit perfectly and the shape and design are excellent. But they are rather more Brown than Rust. This is what they should be:
santonirustbn9.jpg
And this is what they are:
santonibriz2.jpg
Assuming the previous owner/consignee polished these darker, is there anything I can do to restore the Rust colour. The original colour seems so much richer and I would love to have it. Thanks.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
the owner did not darken the shoes (as conceptually if shoes are brown consistently all over, even across the eyelet areas which if done outside of factory would be variegated).

although the brenden model and few other classic models were reported to only come out in rust and black, they did make them in this brown color (which are not found in USA) , a color used for their U.S. rubber soled classic counterparts in elliston, dixon, etc.

sidvar

Reaction score
So is there nothing I can do? brown makes them look dull compared to the rust...

Originally Posted by shoe
the owner did not darken the shoes (as conceptually if shoes are brown consistently all over, even across the eyelet areas which if done outside of factory would be variegated).

although the brenden model and few other classic models were reported to only come out in rust and black, they did make them in this brown color (which are not found in USA) , a color used for their U.S. rubber soled classic counterparts in elliston, dixon, etc.

spence

Reaction score
The two photos look like the same color to me. There's so much variation in light and technique shoes almost always look different in person.

-spence

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't see the situation as quite as hopeless as Shoe suggests, although if it's lightening, rather than reddening, that's desired, the task will be more difficult. Shoes will lighten in color if left in the sun for an extended period; I don't know of any other way. But for toning the color towards a redder shade, I think that there are some things that could be done that would move the shade a little in that direction. One approach would be to use some Allen-Edmonds Chili polish (the stuff in tubes, which is rebranded Collonil). Collonil might have other, redder, shades in their own branded products. Another, and perhaps more effective, approach would be to use some true red shoe cream--like that available from Woly--and rub in a few good applications before finishing with something like the A-E Chili polish. I would be pretty confident that, after a few polishings, the leather would take on a discernibly redder, more rust-like, tone.

As for a really drastic approach (which I wouldn't recommend), I don't think that the bleach treatment is the best idea here. I'd use acetone instead, taking pretty much of the color right out, and leaving a light grayish brown base color. I would then build up a chili color via the A-E polish (or really any cream that gives a rust tone, and there must be some Meltonian shades that would work), or again going with the red Woly cream as a base and building up the rust overlay with a light brown polish.

sidvar

Reaction score
Reddening rather than lightening is what I want so I guess I will try Roger's suggestion. Any sense is wiping it with alchohol-water solutio first, just in case some darker polish was put on it? And if so, what kind of alchohol? Vodka ok?

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely wipe them down liberally with Lexol cleaner, buff, wait a day, buff again and then apply the AE Chili cream. At best, it moves you toward your goal. At worst, you've cleaned, moisturized and polished your shoes and bought $20 worth of usable products.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
I guess I don't see the situation as quite as hopeless as Shoe suggests, although if it's lightening, rather than reddening, that's desired, the task will be more difficult. Shoes will lighten in color if left in the sun for an extended period; I don't know of any other way.
on the topic of lightening shoes...if one were to try to lighten a pair, do you set them out by a window for a while? how long? secondly, couldn't you in theory get the same result from a tanning bed as i assume its the uv radiation causing the lightening?

well-kept

Reaction score
Meltonian London Tan alternated with Red Mahogany. Polish, repeat, several times. Both colors contain strong reddish pigment.

sidvar

Reaction score
The guy who sold them to me says the following:

"Concerning the color. I used "Meltonian #12 (Red Mahogany)" as I always do on the Chili Brendens if they are in need of some touch ups. This was done prior to the pictures though."

But they definitely seem brown -- even more in real life than the picture above -- so should I just keep at it -- lexol, then AE chili and/or Meltonian London Tan + Red Mahogany?

Originally Posted by well-kept
Meltonian London Tan alternated with Red Mahogany. Polish, repeat, several times. Both colors contain strong reddish pigment.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sidvar
so should I just keep at it -- lexol, then AE chili and/or Meltonian London Tan + Red Mahogany?

yes, it will take some time and a lot of layers, but eventually it will start to have a redder shade.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of those Santonis, and I had the opposite problem. When I received them, they were too light/orange for my liking. I polished them with a brown polish and I was most satisfied with the end result. Not quite brown, but red enough to look like rust. I would add, mine were brand new, and the color wasn't even close to that of the stock photo.

Santoni001.jpg

sidvar

Reaction score
Now, that's a colour I would love to get. Mine's a kkind of dull brown at the moment.
Originally Posted by Merckx
I have a pair of those Santonis, and I had the opposite problem. When I received them, they were too light/orange for my liking. I polished them with a brown polish and I was most satisfied with the end result. Not quite brown, but red enough to look like rust. I would add, mine were brand new, and the color wasn't even close to that of the stock photo.
Santoni001.jpg

santonibriz2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads