• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice: slim peacoat/dress shirts?

patty25

Reaction score
Hi, I am in need of a new peacoat, or a similar style wool coat. I currently have the JCrew University coat and do not like it at all. The fit is horrible. I want to buy a new wool coat, hopefully charcoal in color (black will not work), with higher armholes, and with a slimmer fit that fits my body very well. Possibly with a vent in the back. I do not want it to be too long, maybe mid-thigh or so?

I am 5'9'', 165 lbs. 32 inch waist. I have fairly broad shoulders. Does anyone have any suggestions for me, or where I should start looking? Price is an issue, but maybe up to around $300?

Also, I just started a new job and need some new work shirts. I am thinking of going to Brooks Brothers after Christmas to maybe buy a few slim fit shirts when they are on sale. Any suggestions on these shirts or other alternatives? Again, nothing too expensive, but I am willing to spend around what a BB shirt costs.

Any help/advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patty25
Hi, I am in need of a new peacoat. I currently have the JCrew University coat and do not like it at all. The fit is horrible. I want to buy a new peacoat, charcoal in color, with higher armholes, and with a slimmer fit that fits my body very well. Possibly with a vent in the back. Not sure if all pea pea coats are double breasted, but single breast? (like the university coat) will work too. I do not want it to be too long, maybe mid-thigh or so? I am 5'9'', 165 lbs. 32 inch waist. I have fairly broad shoulders. Does anyone have any suggestions for me, or where I should start looking? Price is an issue, but maybe up to around $300? Also, I just started a new job and need some new work shirts. I am thinking of going to Brooks Brothers after Christmas to maybe buy a few slim fit shirts when they are on sale. Any suggestions on these shirts or other alternatives? Again, nothing too expensive, but I am willing to spend around what a BB shirt costs. Any help/advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Peacoat only advice follows: I have a Spiewak peacoat that fits most of your criteria excepting: they don't come in gray, and its double breasted. It's the slimmest fitting of 3 I've owned over the years. See if a shop near you carries them. It's also unisex - it buttons up both ways depending what you are (not YOU specifically).
smile.gif

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will never pay a premium for slim fitting shirts. The 4 things I look for in buying shirts are 1) fabric/pattern, 2) collar spread, 3) shoulder seam and 4) neck size. As long as the collar and shoulder fits right, tailors can do wonders in shaping the shirt to your body.

Costs around $15 per shirt at my local tailor.

patty25

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bstang46
Try TM Lewin's slim fit shirts. They do fit slim, compared to American makers, and are good value for their price. http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/
Thanks for the help to everyone who has replied to this thread. I looked through the T.M Lewin site, but I am a little nervous to purchase shirts from a foreign retailer that I have not tried on. Also, I am not sure if they will be too slim. Also, all the slim fit shirts on that site have french cuffs, which I do not think I want just starting off my wardrobe. I am not a really skinny guy, 32 waist, but I want a fitted shirt. I am completely new to buying nice dress shirts, as I have only previously bought the cheap, gigantic shirts from the bins at kohls or tjmaxx. So I guess I do not really know where to start. Do you know of any American makers that have decent slimmer fit shirts (at a reasonable price) that I could investigate? I basically need a wardrobe upgrade of work clothes (slacks and shoes) and am lost as to where I should start. Any other suggestions? Thanks again for the help.

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you dont mind about brands, check cbunited (they have an ebay store and a web site http://www.cbunitedstyle.com. They have "japanese cut" peacoats in several colors. Pretty good quality and cheap as hell. I picked 2 for my brother in law (since he dont have a credit card) and he is thrilled with em. When they arrived I checked'em and I was surprised. I was expecting some "made in china" crap, but IMO they were pretty cool and enough for a beater coat.

They have slim shirts too. About them I cannot give any comments. For slim shirts (on the cheap) I always go with BR, Gap and Polo RL.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agavilanes
If you dont mind about brands, check cbunited (they have an ebay store and a web site http://www.cbunitedstyle.com). They have "japanese cut" peacoats in several colors. Pretty good quality and cheap as hell. I picked 2 for my brother in law (since he dont hace a credit card) and he is thrilled with em. When they arrived I checked'em and I was surprised. I was expecting some "made in china" crap, but IMO they were pretty cool and enough for a beater coat.

They have slim shirts too. About them I cannot give any comments. For slim shirts (on the cheap) I always go with BR, Gap and Polo RL.

My god this site is awsome. Do you have any other sites like this??

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
My god this site is awsome. Do you have any other sites like this??
Nope. I ended on their ebay store while looking for G-Star stuff for my Brother in law...

A little piece of advice: Check the measurements. All their stuff are on the short/snug side.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True. I would be a large and Im only 5'8.5 and 155lbs. Im a small in Jcrew and just about everywhere else....right?

PolePosition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts are not at all slim fit.

I was at BB the other day and I find their slim fit shirts quite slim. Any slimmer and I'd suffocate!... but then again i don't know how thin you guys are LOL. Doesn't hurt for the OP to try them on since they are a chain retailer and probably available where he is.

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
True. I would be a large and Im only 5'8.5 and 155lbs. Im a small in Jcrew and just about everywhere else....right?
Thats right...

BTW, I see that there's an affiliate thread for CBUnited Right on the SW&D forum now. Maybe you could ask there (and geat a discount coupon)

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a BB slim fit shirt from, oh, 4 years ago. It's still pretty tenty on me (I'm 6'0", wear a 40R suit, 34W pants). I still have to fold the fabric in back at least 1-1.5" when I tuck it in. Perhaps nowadays they've gotten slimmer.

Personally, BR's fitted shirts fit me beautifully. Their medium on me is glorious. Fits me like a glove. Some may look down upon BR, but I love them. But also their measurements may not suit you perfectly like they do for me.

As for a peacoat, I bought BR's tri-blend peacoat in October. They don't really sell it anymore, but the fit is great and it looks a little more classy than some of the other comparably-priced peacoats (i.e. it's almost 3/4 length and it has flap pockets instead of slant, hand-warming pockets. This can actually be annoying if you don't have gloves).

I've also heard Sterlingwear peacoats are great, but I cannot attest to their slimness.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads