• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice required for a Christmas lunch at Ting at The Shard in London

MV Owner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been invited to a Christmas celebration lunch at Ting at the Shard in London which is being laid on by a Company which I engage with. Here is a link to the restaurant:-

http://www.ting-shangri-la.com/

No doubt business will be lightly discussed, however, it is nonetheless a Christmas celebration lunch and I'm sure the food will be fabulous and the drink flowing nicely into the evening.

I would appreciate some advice on what to wear. My initial thoughts are:-

1. Navy blue suit with a light blue open necked double-cuffed shirt, pocket square with chesnut wholecut shoes and a brown belt.
2. The above with a white open necked double-cuffed shirt.
3. Dark brown suit with a light blue open necked double-cuffed shirt, pocket square with black Oxford shoes and black belt.
4. The above with a white open necked double-cuffed shirt.
5. Black suit with a light blue open necked shirt, pocket square with black Oxford shoes and a black belt.
6. The above with a white open necked double-cuffed shirt.

I am heading towards option 1 but would be very thankful for advice on whether the above seem like reasonable suggestions and which would be most preferred. I would of course be happy to be told I've got it all wrong!

Thanks

MV!

MV Owner

Reaction score
I forgot to say, I'd appreciate advice on whether the pocket square should be silk or cotton. I think considering the venue that silk would be better

pony_trekker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been invited to a Christmas celebration lunch at Ting at the Shard in London which is being laid on by a Company which I engage with. Here is a link to the restaurant:-

http://www.ting-shangri-la.com/

No doubt business will be lightly discussed, however, it is nonetheless a Christmas celebration lunch and I'm sure the food will be fabulous and the drink flowing nicely into the evening.

I would appreciate some advice on what to wear. My initial thoughts are:-

1. Navy blue suit with a light blue open necked double-cuffed shirt, pocket square with chesnut wholecut shoes and a brown belt.
2. The above with a white open necked double-cuffed shirt.
3. Dark brown suit with a light blue open necked double-cuffed shirt, pocket square with black Oxford shoes and black belt.
4. The above with a white open necked double-cuffed shirt.
5. Black suit with a light blue open necked shirt, pocket square with black Oxford shoes and a black belt.
6. The above with a white open necked double-cuffed shirt.

I am heading towards option 1 but would be very thankful for advice on whether the above seem like reasonable suggestions and which would be most preferred. I would of course be happy to be told I've got it all wrong!

Thanks

MV!
1. Sounds best. I'd opt for a tie but YMMV.

MV Owner

Reaction score
thanks for such a quick response pony, Im going to opt out of the tie but thanks for the suggestion.

On the issue of a silk pocket square, what are your thoughts on the colour?

pony_trekker

Reaction score
thanks for such a quick response pony, Im going to opt out of the tie but thanks for the suggestion.

I would say silk but I am not a pocket square guy

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What is the texture of your suit? Shirt? Since you aren't wearing a tie, I'd be looking at the textures elsewhere to determine whether silk or cotton. White in either case is safest, but if you want to make the outfit pop a bit, you could do a colored square. Depending on your relationship with the client, and their typical dress, you could go a bit bolder with a red/green square to christmas theme it?

MV Owner

Reaction score
thanks both for your continued help.

I am certainly considering a pocket square and have worn a silk one before. The suit has a slight sheen to it which I think will match the silk better than cotton.

I think the puff fold look will be most appropriate.

I assume guys you still think that the light blue shirt with the suit is a better choice than a white shirt for this venue. I must say I think blue will look less formal and seems to be in keeping with the dress code worn at this venue.

On a slightly different issue, would there be a compatability issue with the formal brown wholecuts and the pop of a puff in silk pocket square (I think the wholcuts maybe a bit formal but I have no alternative except for some black Oxfords). Perhaps the pocket square colour should match the shoes?

After all this I would appreciate thoughts on the wrist watch to be worn, I have a Rolex Air King, Rolex GMT with red/blue bezel or a quite flashy Rolex bi colour Submariner with Blue dial.

MV Owner

Reaction score
Friends,

If you could help me out on this one I'd be exceptionally grateful indeed.

Thanks

MV

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I agree blue shirt with the navy suit and silk square are the best. Even though they are wholecuts, they are a lighter brown being worn with a much darker suit. This will bring down their formality a notch. I wouldn't try to match your square to your shoes; too try hard. Also don't try to match your shirt. The puff is fine, and I'd either go white or some color other than blue, unless you have a neatly patterned multi blue tone one.

The Air King seems the most understated of the three (less chunky bezel), so that's probably the best bet. You could decasualize it further by swapping the metal band for brown leather.

MV Owner

Reaction score
Madhat / Pony

thankyou so much for your assistance, patience and guidance both.

I am going to proceed with the advice provided.

Thanks and ejoy your weekends

MV

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads