• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice re: navy suit jacket

DavideMiguel85

Reaction score
Hello all...

So, the trousers to my navy suit have been completely destroyed, and I've been unable to find a replacement. And even if I could, I'm not sure they'd match up well anymore do to wear / use of the jacket. I know I should have bought two pairs of trousers from the beginning, my mistake.

The jacket is still great though, so I'm wondering what your thoughts as for usage are. The jacket itself cost me around £300 a year ago so I'd prefer it didn't go in the bin.

It's navy, herringbone, single breasted, double vent, notch lapels.

I feel like I can 'get away' with wearing it with the right pair of jeans or similar... The fit is good... And with confidence, as they say... I'm sure many of you will HATE this though. So, do you think if I had the buttons changed to mother of pearl or similar it would seem more like a blazer? Or would it be wasted effort?

Thanks!

P.s. I may be able to photograph, if that would make any difference, I'm not sure.

Off My Rack

Reaction score
I think changing the buttons would be the right call. I would imagine it would be perfectly passable as a blazer. As always, pics would help to give you a definite yes/no.

DavideMiguel85

Reaction score

I think changing the buttons would be the right call. I would imagine it would be perfectly passable as a blazer. As always, pics would help to give you a definite yes/no.

Well, that is encouraging at least, thank you. I will try to get a photo of me wearing it in the next day or two (which I imagine would be more useful than simply on the hanger!).

DavideMiguel85

Reaction score
Hey, I've found a photo of the jacket through my old emails (its dark here, can't take photo right now). Strange that its actually paired with jeans! I bought it with its trousers (but no waistcoat).

I'd probably wear it with lighter jeans / chinos, and a plain Oxford shirt.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does not really suit this role - it shouts orphaned suit jacket and is nothing like a blazer. Sorry sell it.

Balfour

Reaction score
It does not really suit this role - it shouts orphaned suit jacket and is nothing like a blazer. Sorry sell it.

Agreed. Even a plain hard worsted jacket with swapped over buttons looks dull and unremarkable retooled as a blazer, but this jacket would look atrocious.

DavideMiguel85

Reaction score
Thanks guys, may have to look at selling it then by the sounds of it (new owner will likely want to replace the lining).

Would you care to elaborate on why it wouldn't work? I don't consider myself a stylish person (well, obviously, hence starting this thread), but the above photo looks fine/good to me. So it would be good to learn why this doesn't work.

Thanks.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll cast the dissenting vote and say make it into a blazer. Change the buttons to brass or pewter and you are good to go. You won't get much if you sell it and changing buttons won't cost much either. It won't be an office blazer but will still look good on weekends, casual nights out or travelling. If you don't like it after the button swap, sell it then.

Last edited:

jaywhyy

Reaction score
I go against SF groupthink and sometimes use a navy worsted wool suit jacket as a blazer (swapped the buttons for a lighter brown horn), but the fabric on the one shown looks a little too orphany because of the subtle stripes. It's hard enough with solids.

Last edited:

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Hey, I've found a photo of the jacket through my old emails (its dark here, can't take photo right now). Strange that its actually paired with jeans! I bought it with its trousers (but no waistcoat).

I'd probably wear it with lighter jeans / chinos, and a plain Oxford shirt.

I'm pretty sure that 99% of the population would think that looks very good.

Ivar

Reaction score
It won't work as a blazer. But it's an ugly jacket anyway, so no need to cry.

Last edited:

Balfour

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that 99% of the population would think that looks very good.

Is that the standard to shoot for?

Looks bad as a suit jacket and would absolutely not be capable of being adapted as a blazer (as understood in any classical sense). A plain worsted navy jacket can work (with metal buttons), but is suboptimal (often very much so). This is in trainwreck territory.

Last edited:

Willin

Reaction score

Thanks guys, may have to look at selling it then by the sounds of it (new owner will likely want to replace the lining).

Would you care to elaborate on why it wouldn't work? I don't consider myself a stylish person (well, obviously, hence starting this thread), but the above photo looks fine/good to me. So it would be good to learn why this doesn't work.

Thanks.

To answer your question self-striped suiting is generally looked down upon on these forums which is what you have. The lapels are way too slim. As a general rule they should land about halfway of the distance to the shoulder. In that particular picture the jacket is too pinched in the torso which is causing an "X" creasing effect at the buttoning point which indicates poor fit. Lastly the jacket is too short and it looks like it was made for a child. It should cover the rear and the bottom of the jacket should generally be at least half way down the thumb when your arms are relaxed at your side.

I would recommend reading through the "whnay good taste" thread and taking notes to learn about more acceptable attire.

I would also recommend dousing that coat in lighter fluid and setting it ablaze.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, its not perfect, but I would at least experiment with changing buttons. Navy blazers are tough with jeans also. Id say with some nice horn buttons, it would go well with chinos and a gingham/checked shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads