• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on Wedding Attire: Shawl Collar Havana

RichTannins

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

first post here. I’m wearing the Suit supply Navy Blue Havana Tuxedo with Shawl Collar for my wedding this November. I’m totally lost on what to wear for the shirt and waist. I’m more on the relaxed side (hence the Shawl) and was considering no waist piece and just goingshirt?
Does anyone have any opinions on this? Does anyone know of a decent tuxedo shirt that isn’t a bib(and has spread collar)? I’m trying to find a shirt that has studs all the way down and is just plain, decently thick material. Other option I’m considering is cummerbund.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
What's your budget for the tuxedo shirt? You could go custom.

Cummerbund is more traditional than just a shirt. I'd say you're good as long as you make sure there's no shirt visible below the button, though. You could do this if you get high rise trousers, for example.

RichTannins

Reaction score
What's your budget for the tuxedo shirt? You could go custom.

Cummerbund is more traditional than just a shirt. I'd say you're good as long as you make sure there's no shirt visible below the button, though. You could do this if you get high rise trousers, for example.

Thank you! Budget is 100 so I doubt I could go
Custom. I have to try my jacket back on but I should be good otherwise I will def go
Cummerbund

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Thank you! Budget is 100 so I doubt I could go
Custom. I have to try my jacket back on but I should be good otherwise I will def go
Cummerbund

Oh yeah, a bunch of places do custom tuxedo shirts for under $100. Proper Cloth is a common option. I like Spier and Mackay (their only solid white broadcloth right now is a little higher, but you can get 20% off your firt order with a referral code).

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At PC you can order any collar and cuff configuration you want, with a plain tux front meaning four stud holes. The shirt will also come with buttons on a separate fabric ribbon so you can wear it with non-tux attire (although it should have French cuffs). Price depends on fabric, some as low as around $100 last time I checked.

Personally not a cummerbund fan, rarely wear mine. Looks and feels too stuffy. Keep your jacket buttoned and your trousers up with suspenders, no need for cummerbund.

RichTannins

Reaction score
At PC you can order any collar and cuff configuration you want, with a plain tux front meaning four stud holes. The shirt will also come with buttons on a separate fabric ribbon so you can wear it with non-tux attire (although it should have French cuffs). Price depends on fabric, some as low as around $100 last time I checked.

Personally not a cummerbund fan, rarely wear mine. Looks and feels too stuffy. Keep your jacket buttoned and your trousers up with suspenders, no need for cummerbund.

Thank you. I am designing it right now and just chose the standard tuxedo front plains. It doesn’t mention a bib so I’m assuming it’s just flat totally. It also doesn’t mention anything about the buttons being removable. I’m to assume they remove based on the fact this is the standard tux shirt? I’d like studs to go all the way down the shirt so I don’t have two different buttons if not wearing a cummberbund
Thanks again

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I am designing it right now and just chose the standard tuxedo front plains. It doesn’t mention a bib so I’m assuming it’s just flat totally. It also doesn’t mention anything about the buttons being removable. I’m to assume they remove based on the fact this is the standard tux shirt? I’d like studs to go all the way down the shirt so I don’t have two different buttons if not wearing a cummberbund
Thanks again
It will be flat front, no placket. The buttons are on a separate ribbon. I think only the top four are stud holes. This is standard as studs come in sets of four. As mentioned before, if you keep your jacket buttoned and your trousers up with suspenders, four studs are sufficient.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads