• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on University Bag

cantona

Reaction score
Hello

I will be attending University in a month and I would like to get a bag (instead of my old backpack) to carry my books, pens etc. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Cantona

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most elegant is something small and light that you carry in your hand -- a briefcase, essentially. Of course, when I was in school, I thought the guys with briefcases were pretentious boobs, so maybe this is not such a good idea.
wink.gif

If you need a bigger bag, you really should use a backpack. This site is full of pictures of young men with one shoulder several inches lower than the other. Endeavor not to join them: always use both straps.

cantona

Reaction score
I also feel a briefcase would be a little too much (coupled with the fact I am doing a Bachelor of Arts Film & Television course)

Cornellian

Reaction score
Search the forum for messenger bags or man bags. You will come up with lots of suggestions...

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess you can find a stylish book bag, but IMHO there comes a time when the function far outweighs the form.

In this case, just get a backpack and worry about getting straight A's.

My 2 cents.

cantona

Reaction score
thanks for the reply guys, I will search the forum as you suggested.

Zebear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cantona
Hello

I will be attending University in a month and I would like to get a bag (instead of my old backpack) to carry my books, pens etc. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Cantona

I do not know what style of bag you want, but I find that Tom Bihn has a very convenient range... www.tombihn.com

Bohdathone

Reaction score
My advice would be to get a leather portfolio that you carry under your arm or in one hand - at university there shouldn't really be any need to haul around too many books anyway. If you can pull this look off (i.e providing it fits in with your clothing style and a have suitably nonchalant manner) it looks very cool.

Other than that, a simple backpack or messenger bag is ideal. I just got a Porter (Japanese brand) one which would be perfect for university.

I would advise steering clear of briefcases and even wearing a backpack over both shoulders: either of those will probably make you look like a dork...

cantona

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bohdathone
I would advise steering clear of briefcases and even wearing a backpack over both shoulders: either of those will probably make you look like a dork...

Hey man there is no way I could appear as a dork. I like Harris Tweed clothing, old movies and my favourite song is Total Eclipse of the Heart...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don' t know if they're still any good, but my Manhattan Portage messenger bag was a trusty companion in college--and inexpensive.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bohdathone
My advice would be to get a leather portfolio that you carry under your arm or in one hand - at university there shouldn't really be any need to haul around too many books anyway. If you can pull this look off (i.e providing it fits in with your clothing style and a have suitably nonchalant manner) it looks very cool.

Other than that, a simple backpack or messenger bag is ideal. I just got a Porter (Japanese brand) one which would be perfect for university.

1.) I kno a lot of people who wear backpacks and never gave it a second thought

2.) I've seen plenty of people wearing their backpack on only one shoulder and every time I've dismissed them as complete tools

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cantona
Hello

Thanks,
Cantona

As a law student who tried to carry approximately 2000 lbs of books in a messenger bag, I would NOT recommend it. That is, unless you enjoy back pain and broken blood vessels in your shoulders.
confused.gif

Just get a nice backpack with adequate padding. Jansport or something similar.

Function over form in this case. Trust my experience!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads