• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on this relaxed blazer for a guy never wearing blazers and ties

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Ever since I got my first professional job after graduating I have been wearing nothing but t-shirts and jeans. Lately, I have been feeling uncomfortable amongst my colleagues and wanting to upgrade my wardrobe.

I figured I should try a bunch of RTW blazers but after approximately 20 blazers nothing could really fit my arms and shoulders. I did however get a Uniqlo comfort blazer in size XL (size L did not fit my shoulders), which I would like to use as a blazer for gaining experience and figuring out what style I like before I invest in more expensive stuff. My intention is to wear the blazer casually hence the roomier fit.

1660679018893.png

The blazer is undeniably relaxed and is the most comfortable blazer I have ever worn. I like the fuller cut since I also tend to wear fuller trousers. The sleeves have been folded inwardly in the figures and do actually need to be shortened. There are a lot of wrinkles on the blazer because it has yet to be ironed, especially on the back, waist and upper sleeves (it is a cheap blazer for 75 euro hence the cheap material). There is no pulling on the back even if it might look like it around the waist. I have tried the blazer countless of times and the draping around the back and sleeves do look better than what is illustrated above.

Do you think it would look better if I shortened the sleeves and get the waist tailored a bit, or should I resell it? Is it too big in the back or is the draping acceptable?

Last edited:

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
There's a lot ot be said for a roomy cut (love a good drape cut), but to me this looks like you've either lost a bunch of weight recently, or you're borrowing your bigger brothers sport coat. That doesn't HAVE to be a bad thing in my book: I see some younger people (usually studying or working in creative fields) that manage to make the oversized sport coat look pretty cool. But it's a very specific look, and you have to be pretty confident to make it work.

If you're going to wear the oversized sport coat, I REALLY wouldn't wear it with a tie. Throwing on a larger jacket over a pair of jeans and a polo seem casual. Wearing it with a tie makes you look like a guy who has to wear a jacket for work, but isn't really comfortable with it (which to some extent, I suppose, is what you are). Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh - I'm not writing it to be a jerk, it's just the "vibe" I get. I struggled with finding sport coats that fit me as well, and I usually ended up wearing things that were much too short to look good on me - I think roomier is still better than too tight! Possibly taking in the back and waist a bit would help, if you're willing to spend on altering a cheap jacket.

Do you actually have to wear a jacket and tie, though? If you've been wearing jeans and t-shirts, you might want to consider stepping up one step at a time: wear your tailored trousers with a polo or OCBD, and some knitwear? That's FAR dressier than jeans and Ts, but not as formal as sport coat and odd trousers. Especially if you're a recent graduate, stepping up your level of formality one step at a time might be a good idea, and you can continue to sample sport coats and see what fits you.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
There's a lot ot be said for a roomy cut (love a good drape cut), but to me this looks like you've either lost a bunch of weight recently, or you're borrowing your bigger brothers sport coat. That doesn't HAVE to be a bad thing in my book: I see some younger people (usually studying or working in creative fields) that manage to make the oversized sport coat look pretty cool. But it's a very specific look, and you have to be pretty confident to make it work.

If you're going to wear the oversized sport coat, I REALLY wouldn't wear it with a tie. Throwing on a larger jacket over a pair of jeans and a polo seem casual. Wearing it with a tie makes you look like a guy who has to wear a jacket for work, but isn't really comfortable with it (which to some extent, I suppose, is what you are). Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh - I'm not writing it to be a jerk, it's just the "vibe" I get. I struggled with finding sport coats that fit me as well, and I usually ended up wearing things that were much too short to look good on me - I think roomier is still better than too tight! Possibly taking in the back and waist a bit would help, if you're willing to spend on altering a cheap jacket.

Do you actually have to wear a jacket and tie, though? If you've been wearing jeans and t-shirts, you might want to consider stepping up one step at a time: wear your tailored trousers with a polo or OCBD, and some knitwear? That's FAR dressier than jeans and Ts, but not as formal as sport coat and odd trousers. Especially if you're a recent graduate, stepping up your level of formality one step at a time might be a good idea, and you can continue to sample sport coats and see what fits you.
I won't actually wear a tie all the time, only when meeting with clients. I will probably at least wear tailored trousers and OCBD.

Indeed, the sport coat is extremy roomy in the body, and I would never wear it as it is right now. I would at least get it tailored near the waist and back because it is too big. It would probably not be that expensive to get it tailored but it might be worth to gamble. Not sure if it would be possible to taking it in so many sizes without affecting the balance and proportions.

Otherwise, I will probably get something custom made from SuitSupply. Their sport coats are still pretty good value at 400 euros.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's too big.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sport coat is definitely too big and my thought is that alterations won't make it fit better. It seems too big to make it fit your frame and I don't think altering it is worth attempting.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
That sport coat is definitely too big and my thought is that alterations won't make it fit better. It seems too big to make it fit your frame and I don't think altering it is worth attempting.
Ah, I was afraid altering would not fix it. Thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited:

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That jacket doesn’t fit you. It also looks to be of poor quality. I’m not sure what a “relaxed” blazer means—the term is generally used to describe jeans fit. A tailored garment should fit close to your body yet “improve” your figure by emphasizing shoulder and chest while suppressing the waste. That looks like a smock.

If you want a less formal look, rather than wearing an ill-fitting, fast-fashion tailored jacket you might consider workwear garments like French chore coats; it sounds like you don’t need a tailored jacket for work, you’re just looking to upgrade from a t-shirt. Many new takes on the chore jacket look from Japanese and European companies, start by looking through the Die Workwear blog. Good ones aren’t cheap but you can also find nice vintage ones on eBay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads