• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on sportcoat fit

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a little advice on this sportcoat I got on sale.

It's a house brand model from a smaller store in Canada (Stonehouse). I've read here that this may mean it's a Jack Victor. It's linen, made in Canada and appears to be fused. I paid about $130 CDN. It was originally marked at around $400 as I recall (the original price tags appears to have disappeared), but this doesn't mean anything given the ridiculous markup on everything in Canada.

It's a 40S, and I'm typically a 40R. I've always believed that S refers to the length of the coat itself (not the sleeves). However, my thought was that I could wear it with jeans, which I think demands a shorter coat, and I think in this regard, it looks fine. As with all OTR coats, the sleeve holes are poorly placed, and of course the sleeves are short and would need to be let out.

Another issue is just below the collar on the back - a bit of extra fabric that doesn't lie flat, even when I'm standing straight up and my arms are at my sides.

I don't need the jacket right now, but it was a pretty good price, and I look the design. I can always return it and wait for a better deal. Or I can go back and demand a further discount due to the fit issue.

Let me know your thoughts on the fit, and the issue with the back below the collar. Ignore the socks.

DSCF2947.jpg

DSCF2948.jpg

DSCF2949.jpg

DSCF2952.jpg

DSCF2951.jpg

DSCF2956.jpg

DSCF2954.jpg

rebenga

Reaction score
Really looks too short. I think the area you circled is commonly fixed by lowering the collar but I would just return it.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so just because it doesn't fit you, you assume it's a construction problem, and not because every single body is different?

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the sleeves fits you if you like to showing some cuff and you plan to always use shirts with it (Maybe you should post some pics wearing a shirt to confirm)

As for the back roll, that thing is fixable by any good tailor.

About the jacket lenght, it's a matter of preference. If you like your jackets shorter (ala Thom Browne), I think it's Ok.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tailor should be able to lengthen the sleeves a bit (which I would recommend) and fix the back. Other than that if you like it, keep it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it is much too short - it makes it look a bit feminine.

Also, I think the fact that it is a "true" short makes the button-stance look kind of weird on your body. I would definitely return and buy a regular.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads