• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on shoes to add to collection

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm seeking advice on the next couple pairs of shoes I should add to my collection below. My workplace is truly casual (some even wear shorts in the summer), so I am at the upper end of formality if I wear chinos and a dress shirt, which is what I usually wear (or jeans). I do wear suits and sport coats occasionally outside of work, though I think for now I am covered for wear with suits. Obviously, big gaps in my collection are bluchers and loafers, and brown and burgundy calf or cordovan. I recently acquired and still haven't worn the Neumoks and Amoks, which I realize are perhaps not as essential at the moment. However, they were both good deals and fit well. Anyway, the styles I am considering are penny loafers, plain toe bluchers, longwing bluchers, and split toe bluchers, but please advise.

Left to Right

• AE Neumok in snuff suede: Haven't worn these yet, but I really like them and they are very comfortable. I was initially worried that they were too close to the Strands, but I think they are sufficiently different.
  • AE Strand in walnut calf: Don't have the guts yet to wear to work, which is a shame, because they are my favorite pair and fit perfectly. Have been great for wear with light colored suits and chinos.
  • AE Park Avenue in black calf: Have served me well for my wedding and a bunch of interviews.

----------

Left to Right

• AE Amok in chocolate suede: Would've preferred a dainite sole, but they were cheap ($99) and look good in my opinion. Haven't worn yet.
  • Chippewa Katahdin: Have been great winter boots.
  • Sperry Top-Sider: Wear these on the weekends, and yes, even to work.

I also have a really crappy pair of boots I wear in the snow, and a pair of tassel loafers that I am going to get rid of soon, so I didn't bother including them.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E Delray in brown might be a good option since you don't have a dark brown calf blucher.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1208_1_40000000001_-1
or maybe the Kenilworth:
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF8005_1_40000000001_-1

Do you wear loafers often? If you do, maybe consider a pair, but honestly my loafers mostly just sit in the closet. The Delray and Kenilworth would be very functional, attractive shoes that won't draw too much attention to themselves (since you're afraid to wear your Strands). I have a pair of Delrays and I wear them often. BTW, AE is having a Memorial Day sale starting today on all factory 2nd and closeout shoes. Just email the AE Shoebank and ask what they have in your size.
Fred

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AE Delray in brown might be a good option since you don't have a dark brown calf blucher.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1208_1_40000000001_-1
or maybe the Kenilworth:
Do you wear loafers often? If you do, maybe consider a pair, but honestly my loafers mostly just sit in the closet. The Delray and Kenilworth would be very functional, attractive shoes that won't draw too much attention to themselves (since you're afraid to wear your Strands). I have a pair of Delrays and I wear them often. BTW, AE is having a Memorial Day sale starting today on all factory 2nd and closeout shoes. Just email the AE Shoebank and ask what they have in your size.
Fred

Thanks for the input. I prefer lace ups, and don't wear loafers often, but I have recently been drawn to Alden's cordovan LHS. Not sure I want to spend that much though. I do like the Delray and Kenilworth, and maybe also the Bradley and Leeds for a split toe and plain toe blucher. I think I might start regularly wearing the Strands, but I agree that it would be nice to have some shoes that are less showy/brogued. I emailed the shoe bank, so I'll see what they have.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd look at including a black calf brogue (standard or longwing either oxford or derby) in your collection for daytime work wear and maybe a chelsea boot if that is your thing. Good basic selection in place already though as far as I can see,

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd look at including a black calf brogue (standard or longwing either oxford or derby) in your collection for daytime work wear and maybe a chelsea boot if that is your thing. Good basic selection in place already though as far as I can see,

I think for now I'm going to stick with one black shoe, at least until I have a couple more in brown and burgundy. I like the idea of chelsea boots, but I'm not sure that they're my thing.

Last edited:

yls2012

Reaction score
It sounds like your job doesn't require highly formal dress. If it were more formal, I would get a brown semi-brogue with closed lacing.

To tone down the formality, maybe a similar shoe but with open lacing? Good opportunity to try a different brand, too.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It sounds like your job doesn't require highly formal dress.  If it were more formal, I would get a brown semi-brogue with closed lacing.

To tone down the formality, maybe a similar shoe but with open lacing?  Good opportunity to try a different brand, too.

Right, I think another balmoral/closed lacing shoe isn't the way to go at this point. A brogued blucher/open lacing shoe could be a good choice. I'm not a big fan of captoe bluchers, but a short or longwing is up my alley.

aglass

Reaction score
I actually have a similar job as well as a similar collection (Black Fifth Aves, Suede Players, Walnut Players). I think, as mentioned above, that a dark brown or chili could serve you well next. Maybe a pair of dark brown cliftons?

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually have a similar job as well as a similar collection (Black Fifth Aves, Suede Players, Walnut Players).  I think, as mentioned above, that a dark brown or chili could serve you well next.  Maybe a pair of dark brown cliftons?

Captoe bluchers aren't a favorite style of mine, but Cliftons are certainly good looking -- I'll consider them. I think I'll stick with dark brown or burgundy as opposed to chili, at least for the next pair. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Snedley

Reaction score
I'm seeking advice on the next couple pairs of shoes I should add to my collection below. My workplace is truly casual (some even wear shorts in the summer), so I am at the upper end of formality if I wear chinos and a dress shirt, which is what I usually wear (or jeans). I do wear suits and sport coats occasionally outside of work, though I think for now I am covered for wear with suits. Obviously, big gaps in my collection are bluchers and loafers, and brown and burgundy calf or cordovan. I recently acquired and still haven't worn the Neumoks and Amoks, which I realize are perhaps not as essential at the moment. However, they were both good deals and fit well. Anyway, the styles I am considering are penny loafers, plain toe bluchers, longwing bluchers, and split toe bluchers, but please advise.

Left to Right
  • AE Neumok in snuff suede: Haven't worn these yet, but I really like them and they are very comfortable. I was initially worried that they were too close to the Strands, but I think they are sufficiently different.
  • AE Strand in walnut calf: Don't have the guts yet to wear to work, which is a shame, because they are my favorite pair and fit perfectly. Have been great for wear with light colored suits and chinos.
  • AE Park Avenue in black calf: Have served me well for my wedding and a bunch of interviews.

Left to Right
  • AE Amok in chocolate suede: Would've preferred a dainite sole, but they were cheap ($99) and look good in my opinion. Haven't worn yet.
  • Chippewa Katahdin: Have been great winter boots.
  • Sperry Top-Sider: Wear these on the weekends, and yes, even to work.
I also have a really crappy pair of boots I wear in the snow, and a pair of tassel loafers that I am going to get rid of soon, so I didn't bother including them.
Since you seem to like AE I'd recommend these-

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1607_1_40000000001_-1

and this for a laceup

They can both be worn for work or leisure and are both very comfortable. I notice that you have a boat shoe there and always reccomend that you buy the best shoe available in this style so you have the right support.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The burgundy shell cordovan Leeds is a nice shoe, and is a plain-toe blucher.

Snedley

Reaction score
The burgundy shell cordovan Leeds is a nice shoe, and is a plain-toe blucher.
It's also a double soled heavier shoe.
facepalm.gif

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My advice to you and me is loafers. I need to add a pair of loafers to my rotation. They are casual enough and can be dressed up with trousers

I agree that at least one pair of loafers are in order.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your shoe wardrobe is fairly complete in both varieties and colors.

I would add:

U-tip (EG Dover, GG Hoove, etc)
Double Monk (JL William, etc)
Chelsea (RM Weilliams)

in that order.

Austerity brogue or quarter brogue shoes are probably too formal for your casual environment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads