1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on shoes to add to collection

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Papa Doble, May 15, 2012.

1. Off My Rack

Off My Rack Senior member

[​IMG]

2. Tropicalist

Tropicalist Senior member

I would throw an exotic into the mix- Lizard is the most subtle but crocodile is more fun. Go for the plainest style possible as the leather is fancy enough. Burgundy or deep brown keeps it relatively subtle

3. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

what is your budget?

4. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Thanks bucksfan, I like your proposed plan, and I'm on board with burgundy. Where does one get the RL Marlow these days? On their site, I only see the shortwing blucher and penny and tassel loafers.

I think color 8 longwings are in my future, though I think I agree with you and bucksfan that a plain toe should come first.

My budget is in the AE price range. I might be able to upgrade to Aldens, but I probably wouldn't be able to acquire them as quickly as AEs, since they basically can't be found on sale.

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

You'll need to call one of their retail stores for the PTB. Don't pay full retail, monitor this thread for announcements of their sales (typically one in early May, one in November). Sales past, it's been 40% - 50% off. Their shortwings are next on my list (I have the tassels and PTBs).

Be patient and add to your collection as you have an opportunity, and as they go on sale. If you're interested in the Leeds, call an outlet and see if they have any in your size. In my experience, Leeds and RL Marlow PTBs run true to size against the Brannock device. Alden PTBs run 1/2 size large (i.e. order 1/2 size smaller than your other shoes). Alden for Brooks Brothers shoes run TTS.

6. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Can't say I agree with this for me.

If I'm not yet wearing the Strands to work, I'm sure I'll have no problem pulling off lizard or crocodile. :)

Last edited: May 16, 2012