• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Advice on shoes, socks, suits and so much more

riderx2010

Reaction score
So I'm new to this world of high quality fashion however I learn quickly. So here is what I have started out with. First time buying a suit or dress shoes so here it is... I bought a custom made charcoal suit that is a mix of silk and wool. A light blue striped custom shirt with contrasting cuffs (white). I also bought a pair of Artioli monks in a red color. I have silk blue tie in royal blue and will also get a black one with a slight pattern. I will also be purchasing a purple shirt with contrasting cuffs. Not a bad start in my opinion
Here are the photos. The suit picture isn't me but it's exactly the same. Attachment 60134 Attachment 60135 So here is where I am at a loss. I want to go a bit more fun with my socks and pocket square but I have no idea what color to use for either. Also in my opinion the shoes are too light for the suit so I am planning on having them properly antiqued. I'm also open to tie advice as well. Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

Unregistered

Reaction score
I'm one for the light (and ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL) shoes with a gray suit. Many here will disagree.

What would really help is a description of what you would be wearing the suit for.

As much as I love your monks, I do believe that monks are not truly appropriate for usage in an office setting, or more formal events. They are technically "slip ons" and lack the formality presented by a pair of proper oxfords.

Very well done though.

As for socks, I've had absolutely great experience with Viccel's winter weight socks. All the colours you might want (I hope they bring stripes soon) for a terrific price and quality.

Pocket squares are harder to advise on without seeing the entire ensemble. Though one could argue that the PS makes the ensemble...

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.