• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on pocket square

clam61

Reaction score
sorry i dont have a camera, so you'll have to imagine...

i recently bought a really nice tie (at least i like it). it isn't this tie, but its similar. same colors and similar design

http://www.forzieri.com/usa/product_..._valore5=&rl=4

i am thinking of wearing it with a black shirt and black suit. it doesnt come with a matching pocket square...and when I put in a white square it didnt look right. not sure if wearing a silver one would work either.

any suggestions?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that is the ensemble that you are going to wear, a pocket square won't help you.
devil.gif

migo

Reaction score
I don't think anyone on the forum will either
devil.gif
devil.gif

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clam61
sorry i dont have a camera, so you'll have to imagine...

i recently bought a really nice tie (at least i like it). it isn't this tie, but its similar. same colors and similar design

http://www.forzieri.com/usa/product_..._valore5=&rl=4

i am thinking of wearing it with a black shirt and black suit. it doesnt come with a matching pocket square...and when I put in a white square it didnt look right. not sure if wearing a silver one would work either.

any suggestions?

Assuming this post wasn't a joke, I'll give some friendly advice. Black suits are generally frowned upon here. As are black shirts. As are black ties with odd patterns. All 3 together are very frowned upon. The look ends up being a bit too mafiaoso.

Perhaps wear the tie with a grey suit and white shirt.

clam61

Reaction score
what's wrong with mafioso?

why are black suits frowned upon? its not like its for a business meeting

clam61

Reaction score
does everyone on this forum dress like an old english gent ?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And how is that look connected to the mafia I have seen a decent amount of people connected to the mafia and no one dresses like that. they rarely where suits anymore.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that the outfit is my style either, but I think solid white might have a little too much contrast; the grey (silver) might be better. I would probably go with a black square with a white/grey pattern like this or maybe even this which can be had at a very nice price here.

clam61

Reaction score
thanks

the first image was of alicia silverstone...what was that?

probably not a checkered because my tie is not geometric in its pattern...but i agree something that has black/grey or white together in some curved fashion..basically something like my tie.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
clam61;561649 said:
thanks

QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with that
smile.gif
In fact, I clicked it because you mentioned it.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks

probably not a checkered because my tie is not geometric in its pattern...but i agree something that has black/grey or white together in some curved fashion..basically something like my tie.

your welcome.

alicia who?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what's wrong with mafioso?

why are black suits frowned upon? its not like its for a business meeting

It may not be a business meeting, but I don't think its for funeral either because the black shirt and tie won't be appropriate either. With that said, I strongly suggest that you ditch the monotone look. It doesn't look good. Period. I always think that people who do this are just too lazy to pick colors or patterns. That or they want to look like a tough guy- in a Broadway play.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
And how is that look connected to the mafia I have seen a decent amount of people connected to the mafia and no one dresses like that. they rarely where suits anymore.

That is something that I have also wondered. I occasionally wear black shirts with my sportcoats (and, actually, even with one of my grey suits), and I then often get that "maffia look" comment from some colleagues. But I also get it when I'm wearing dark shirts in general, like when I'm wearing a very dark blue shirt that I sometimes wear with a light blue odd jacket.

I think that maybe it has not got so much to do with the maffia but with the fact that Italians use (or used) dark shirts more frequently than, for example, English gentlemen. For example, I believe to have seen Marcello Mastroianni driving a vespa wearing a white or off white suit with a black shirt (was it in C'eravamo tanto amati, maybe?)

Or is there some other reason? Just curious.

Also, I am much more reluctant nowadays concerning black stuff than I used to be (before SF...). I think that it is true that black is an easy choice for men who are afraid of failing when trying to combine colours. I guess that is why I used to wear so much black. I still wear black occasionally, but not to the same extent and I actually try to stay away from it when going to places where black is the "uniform".

m_wave

Reaction score
does everyone on this forum dress like an old english gent ?

Actually a lot of them dress like old Americans...

Originally Posted by epa
That is something that I have also wondered. I occasionally wear black shirts with my sportcoats (and, actually, even with one of my grey suits),

I think a black or charcoal shirt can look good with a grey suit.. I'm not a fan of paler tie on darker shirt in most situations. So I'd chose to go "tieless"

Though I think i've seen SoCAL do pale on dark in the WAYW thread..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics