• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on pair of 1st pair of Derby - Di Bianco / Crockett & Jones Gaziano GIrling / Carmina

omnixboi

Reaction score
Hi All,

Really appreciate that this forum exists and need your help on choosing a pair of shoes with a contemporary twist. Shoes are for Business/Weddings/Fancy night out.

I have a pair of Gucci's that lasted about 6 years and realized after reading these forums that they not good bang for the buck.

After researching options, I liked Scapra Di Bianco (Deco Fumo Deco Nero) / Crockett & Jones (Aintree III) / Gaziano GIrling / Carmina (BLACK DERBY SHOES 80449 RAIN)

I like Deco Fumo from Di Bianco the most but wondering if it is also suitable for business.

Thank you for any feedback/advice!

Andrew

Attachments

• SBP896G-DECO-FUMO-BLAKE-RAPID-9806_1200x.jpg
    SBP896G-DECO-FUMO-BLAKE-RAPID-9806_1200x.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 26
  • SC538_VIT_NERO-2086_1200x.jpg
    SC538_VIT_NERO-2086_1200x.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 26
  • derby_shoes_black_carmina_80449_l.jpg
    derby_shoes_black_carmina_80449_l.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 244
  • aintree-3-6251-12-1.jpg
    aintree-3-6251-12-1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 227

Rosal

Reaction score
Gaziano shoes are great, fantastic quality on par with the price.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cant go wrong with Gaziano and C+J. I really like the Aintree.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
You are comparing shoes at different price points. If it is going to be your only and daily pair of business shoes it's going to be a mistake to buy one pair @1000usd when you can have two at @500. The shoes needs to rest a little between wear to evacuate moisture. Do not forget shoe trees to increase the life of your shoes.

I only own Carmina's and CJ and they both are of really good quality.

The only thing that sounds wrong in my opinion on your choice of shoes is the fact that you want formal black shoes and you propose derbies ... I am not going to discuss the black color as long as there is a strong fight between "no brown in town" and "black is for funeral". But if you are looking for formal shoes I would pick a black no broguing cap toe oxfords. And I would pick a second pair for less formal occasions but still businessproof like a dark brown quarter brogue oxford.

It also depends on your definition of business, fancy dinner, etc. If it's a suit no tie and open button shirt I wouldn't recommend wearing black oxfords because the shoes won't match the rest of the outfit. There is a lot of rules when it comes to men's shoes and you can decide to follow them or not. For some people wearing black oxfords with jeans is the same as wearing nike's sneakers at a funeral.

omnixboi

Reaction score
You are comparing shoes at different price points. If it is going to be your only and daily pair of business shoes it's going to be a mistake to buy one pair @1000usd when you can have two at @500. The shoes needs to rest a little between wear to evacuate moisture. Do not forget shoe trees to increase the life of your shoes.

I only own Carmina's and CJ and they both are of really good quality.

The only thing that sounds wrong in my opinion on your choice of shoes is the fact that you want formal black shoes and you propose derbies ... I am not going to discuss the black color as long as there is a strong fight between "no brown in town" and "black is for funeral". But if you are looking for formal shoes I would pick a black no broguing cap toe oxfords. And I would pick a second pair for less formal occasions but still businessproof like a dark brown quarter brogue oxford.

It also depends on your definition of business, fancy dinner, etc. If it's a suit no tie and open button shirt I wouldn't recommend wearing black oxfords because the shoes won't match the rest of the outfit. There is a lot of rules when it comes to men's shoes and you can decide to follow them or not. For some people wearing black oxfords with jeans is the same as wearing nike's sneakers at a funeral.

Sfroide,

Really appreciate and thank you for your feedback. The more I look at shoes, the more I find a liking to oxfords.

I reside in Southern California where business settings are not usually a suit and tie affair. I typically wear mismatching jacket and pants with a button up shirt (without the top button buttoned). My style would never wear dress shoes with jeans.

What would you recommend for the black pair of shoes given the information above? Price point would be ~1000usd

I will look into dark brown quarter brogue oxford for the brown pair.

Thank you again, for all of your help.

omnixboi

Reaction score
Have you tried any of them on?

I have not yet, I am going to try Gaziano this weekend. Any recommendations given ~1000usd price point for the shoes?

Would wear the shoes with mismatching jacket and pants with a button up shirt (without the top button buttoned) .

Thank you for any feedback.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
I reside in Southern California where business settings are not usually a suit and tie affair. I typically wear mismatching jacket and pants with a button up shirt (without the top button buttoned). My style would never wear dress shoes with jeans.

What would you recommend for the black pair of shoes given the information above? Price point would be ~1000usd

I wouldn't recommend a black pair of shoes with such a casual outfit. To anyone that is into classic men style it would look odd to wear a sportcoat with black oxfords.

What you are actually wearing for business is actually very very casual according to classic men style. A medium brown or dark brown oxford would be the more formal shoes I d pick for the style you described.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads