• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on next shoes to buy

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a pair of AE Park Avenues and a pair of AE Strands, both black. I would've preferred the Strands to be brown, but they were what I thought was a good deal used on eBay ($55 with shipping). I obviously need at least one more pair in brown, merlot, burgundy, or a comparable color. My feeling is that I should get a pair in one of these colors before I get one in a lighter brown like walnut, but please advise. It would be nice if they worked with both dress pants and jeans. I'm not currently interested in loafers, and tend to prefer balmorals to bluchers. I'm willing to buy shoes that would retail around $300. I'd appreciate any advice first on the style you'd choose next, and second on any particular shoes you'd choose.

I'm not set on AE, but am considering Fifth Avenues (brown) and McAllisters (merlot). I'd prefer not to repeat, but I also like Park Avenues (dark brown, merlot) and Strands (brown). I've found quite a few interesting styles on Herring Shoes, although I'll eat a lot of shipping cost if they don't fit. Even with international shipping, for example the Herring Knightsbridge (Oxford) is $238. Can anyone comment on the quality of these? And, should I avoid polished leather, as in the Herring Keele, which is tempting at $165? I'm not sure of the differences between polished and burnished leather. Many AE shoes have burnished leather.

Newlaw

Reaction score
I would probably go with a brown longwing based on what you have so far. Getting another pair of Park Ave's in dark brown or merlot would be extremely close in function to the black Park Avenues. I think cap-toes with no broguing at all are a little more difficult to dress down with jeans.

A brown longwing is the most versatile shoe I can think of. With that said, I went with a walnut brogue before having a true brown dress shoe. Walnut can look stunning with medium wash jeans, and lighter pants.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You make a good point about needing some substantial broguing to be able to work with casual clothing, and longwings is an interesting suggestion. I suppose walnut would also work with some light khakis/chinos?

wetnose

Reaction score
I'd recommend chelsea boots as your next purchase. I did go the longwing route but somehow I never "got" them and I haven't worn them for months.

Newlaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Papa Doble
You make a good point about needing some substantial broguing to be able to work with casual clothing, and longwings is an interesting suggestion. I suppose walnut would also work with some light khakis/chinos?

Walnut looks great with khakis/chinos... That's not to say that you can't wear walnut with darker (navy) pants, but it is definitely not traditional and some on this forum would cringe. I think walnuts/cognacs look great with medium greys and lighter charcoals as well.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the next English made brown shoe on sale at Brooks brothers for less than $200

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Get the next English made brown shoe on sale at Brooks brothers for less than $200

pebblegrain, no Brooks Brothers dress shoes are under $200 as far as I can tell.

Newlaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Papa Doble
pebblegrain, no Brooks Brothers dress shoes are under $200 as far as I can tell.

I check the website quite often, and usually only the weird styles ever go on sale.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Papa, since you got a good deal on the strands, consider stripping them and dye them some brown shade you like. I know you don't like bluchers but the AE MacNeil is stellar. They have walnut grain
drool.gif

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Allen Edmonds website. They are having 40% off on selected shoes. VanNess in merlot looks good.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
I'd recommend chelsea boots as your next purchase. I did go the longwing route but somehow I never "got" them and I haven't worn them for months.

I think I will consider boots in the future, but not right now. Thank you for the suggestion, though. I'm not sure if I get longwings either. I might go with traditional wingtips, if at all.

Originally Posted by Newlaw
Walnut looks great with khakis/chinos... That's not to say that you can't wear walnut with darker (navy) pants, but it is definitely not traditional and some on this forum would cringe. I think walnuts/cognacs look great with medium greys and lighter charcoals as well.

Makes sense. I'd be interested to read a thorough discussion on which pants-shoes combinations are recommended and which are not. I'm sure if I search SF or elsewhere I can find such a discussion. I of course have a general idea of what works, but would like to check that with some form of authority.

Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
Merlot/Burgundy wholecut.

I think wholecuts fall in the same category as longwings for me. I appreciate them, but am not sure they're my style yet, with longwings preferable to wholecuts.

Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Papa, since you got a good deal on the strands, consider stripping them and dye them some brown shade you like.

I know you don't like bluchers but the AE MacNeil is stellar. They have walnut grain
drool.gif

That's a very interesting idea. I have no idea how much that would cost.

As for MacNeils, I may change my mind if I saw them in person, but I'm not sure I'm feeling longwings. My taste is constantly changing (improving?), though, which is why I try to take my time with these purchases.

I think Park Avenues in black, Strands in brown, and McAllisters in walnut -- or McAllisters in merlot and Strands in walnut -- would form a nice shoe rotation. Allen Edmonds currently has Cambridges on sale, though I doubt they still have my size (11 E). Is the double sole the only difference between McAllisters and Cambridges? And, if so, why do they offer both and why would one prefer one to the other?

Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Check out Allen Edmonds website. They are having 40% off on selected shoes. VanNess in merlot looks good.

I should have also specified that I'm interested exclusively in leather soles. Thanks though.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Papa Doble...I know it can get overwhelming with all the suggestions and choices...

personally, it all comes down to these factors:
- work environment dress code
- current wardrobe inventory

try to pick the the most versatile item to compliment both...

If all else fail, if you think you look good and feels good and it FITS, take the plunge and don;t look back

for my 2 cents, +1 for AE Macneil....

viator

Reaction score
What about a norwegian split toe in burgundy or a shade of brown? Works greatw with jeans and business casual.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads