• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on new EG with flaw

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After months of waiting, I finally got my Edward Green Newmarket boots in black on the 808 last. Unfortunately, the first thing I saw was a flaw in the sole where it meets the heel. Any advice? The sensible thing to do is to have them fix it, but I'm only hesitating because of the hassle involved in sending the shoes back.

Has this happened to anyone before? I'm surprised that such an obvious flaw would escape inspection. It's not shipping damage because the box is flawless.

--Andre

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have never had that particular flaw show up, but have seen many, many flaws in products that you would think would have great quality control. I would probably cal Malouf's and tell Sam. He is very good about these kinds of things and has had his own issues with them about his bespoke shoes, so I am sure he will empathize.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember someone else here got MTO Edward Greens and there was a flaw in the leather. Also unacceptable when you are paying a grand for a pair of shoes.

pejsek

Reaction score
And let me just add, I'm sure Malouf's (or wherever the shoes came through) wants you to be satisfied and would prefer that you raise the issue so that it can be solved and you will be happy (ready to order again). I never face this issue with clothes because I get most of mine from the thrift store. But I do encounter it from time to time with custom upholstery (where relatively decent sums of money may also be at stake). Businesses such as this operate largely by word-of-mouth and rely very much on repeat customers and referals. I wouldn't hesitate to bring it up.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That shouldn't have happened. It's the point where the welt is butted, after he's gone all the way "˜round the shoe. There shouldn't be anything more than a hairline joint, only visible with a magnifying glass.

Post the picture to EG and ask what they suggest you should do.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I remember someone else here got MTO Edward Greens and there was a flaw in the leather. Also unacceptable when you are paying a grand for a pair of shoes.
I remember one pair of EGs that came by plane carried by not the strongest of women with some sort of flaw around the ankle...

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I remember one pair of EGs that came by plane carried by not the strongest of women with some sort of flaw around the ankle...

Well, I hope I'm not screwed then because I photographed them on carpet (with no scuffing).
smile.gif

I just contacted Malouf's, and Sam has to review the picture first, but they said they'll most probably just take the shoe back and send it to England to have it fixed.

Speaking of scuffing soles, is the finish of the soles on recent EGs different? I don't remember them having that V with the front of the shoe colored black and the instep tan. It looks like the G&G sole now, except without a big fiddleback.

--Andre

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Well, I hope I'm not screwed then because I photographed them on carpet (with no scuffing).
smile.gif

I just contacted Malouf's, and Sam has to review the picture first, but they said they'll most probably just take the shoe back and send it to England to have it fixed.

Speaking of scuffing soles, is the finish of the soles on recent EGs different? I don't remember them having that V with the front of the shoe colored black and the instep tan. It looks like the G&G sole now, except without a big fiddleback.

--Andre

Always been that way on black shoes but not on other colors.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I've always wonder what the purpose is for the sole to be two-colored. Purely cosmetic?

good luck Andre with your exchange. beautiful shoe.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
upon taking a closer look at that picture, isnt that normal for there to be a **** at that location?

Yes. That location is where the welt strip ends and the heel rand begins. These are two different pieces of leather, so there has to be a ****. It just doesn't have to be that wide.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose this is going as well as it can. Maloufs is sending a UPS postage label for me to return the shoes, and they're trying to expedite with the factory to get this fixed ASAP. The store has been very responsive and apologetic, and doing what they can to make this right.

--Andre

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know it's a little late now, but I honestly wouldn't even bother. No, the welt and rand really shouldn't show a gap, but it also shouldn't hurt anything, either. Water should be no realistic problem here (the glue used to seal the sole/midsole area will take care of that), and structurally all the shoe is missing is a stitch or two and should be perfectly sound (again, the glue).

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
thats what i was saying. i have a few AE that are exactly like that and a couple other pairs and they are fine, no structural gradual damage. just fine.
i would think if you send them back , they will see how to 'repair' it and maybe even get it to look even more awkward maybe? rush through a trouble ticket they may not see as that important and just try to 'band-aid' it up ? not sure, imo , i would just keep it the way it is, to me it looks perfectly fine. i looked at the pictures several times trying to see what the fuss is about, but i still cannot see it.
i understand jcusey about it , but still.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads