• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on new EG with flaw

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Looks pretty small to me. Call me impatient, but I'd happily deal with a little extra space there in order to be able to wear my new Greens that I'd been waiting months for.

I'm in this camp too. That particular flaw wouldn't have even caught my eye.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I'm in this camp too. That particular flaw wouldn't have even caught my eye.

It would not have caught my eye either, but I know from experience that once something does catch your eye, it is hard to get it out of your mind.

Demeter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Not trying to deride the poster but really, when buying things of a hand-made nature, or as close to hand-made these days, expect small imperfections for that is what is special.

Mr. King has put it well, I think.

Part of the nature of a handmade creation is its soul, for lack of a better word. For some makers, it's kind of a search for perfection.

But I guess it depends on what your definition of 'perfection' is. If by perfect you mean a labour of love, then I think you will appreciate something different from an individual who equates 'perfect' to 'flawless.' If you're looking for flawlessness, then you might like the new Kenneth Cole collection.

However, I do see how something like that would be more and more annoying every time you see it. If that's the case, then by all means, have it fixed (although I would suggest, as someone else already has, to visit a local cobbler, since this really isn't a structural flaw).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meaculpa
Mr. King has put it well, I think.

Part of the nature of a handmade creation is its soul, for lack of a better word. For some makers, it's kind of a search for perfection.

But I guess it depends on what your definition of 'perfection' is. If by perfect you mean a labour of love, then I think you will appreciate something different from an individual who equates 'perfect' to 'flawless.' If you're looking for flawlessness, then you might like the new Kenneth Cole collection.

However, I do see how something like that would be more and more annoying every time you see it. If that's the case, then by all means, have it fixed (although I would suggest, as someone else already has, to visit a local cobbler, since this really isn't a structural flaw).

Indeed, it's soul--or ethos.

There are some hand-made goods that reflect perfection but most of them are usually mechanical things like a watch or a camera. And even then, the level of craftsmanship has been diminished for the sakes of the accountants. Compare the factories of a 1950s Leica to today's Leica.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
The perception as a flaw in artisinal work reveals as much of the critic as of the craftsman and the artist must educate the critic.

Good Grief!

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for everyone's opinions --- I truly appreciate it all. FWIW, I sent a bigger version of the picture to a well-regarded shoemaker who's fairly familiar with the make and last of the shoe, and while he believes it's not structural, he would not send it to a local cobbler whom he believes would fill it in with wax which will crumble over time, and his advice was to return it to EG for proper repairs. He's also surprised that this flaw made it through quality control, as EG is apparently quite thorough about these things.

Iyorito, you have a good eye: there are actually two scars near the flaw. It looks like someone's tool slipped, or the shoe was dropped onto something sharp. While that is a very human mistake, I doubt it is part of the handmade patina valued by everyone here.
smile.gif

--Andre

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering about these boots, I just got them back from Malouf's yesterday. It seems like EG quantizes their shoemaking and shipment, because these shoes came in with a bunch of ordered shoes. Anyway, they look great, and I'm happy with them now. I posted some pictures in the Ankle Boot Appreciation thread.

--Andre

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
I don't think the factory has any interest in adjusting its schedules. First in, first out.

They do seem to be very set in their ways, not that there's anything wrong with that. I thought their new (to me) dark green shoebox had a really amusing logo that kind of summed it all up: "Master Shoemakers To The Few".

--Andre

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Should've just got 4 pairs of R.M Williams for the same price.......
blush.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
Should've just got 4 pairs of R.M Williams for the same price.......
blush.gif

Or better yet, half a pair of bespoke for the time I waited! Sorry, but I don't understand your point.

--Andre

Englandmj7

Reaction score
nevermind.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
In case anyone was wondering about these boots, I just got them back from Malouf's yesterday. It seems like EG quantizes their shoemaking and shipment, because these shoes came in with a bunch of ordered shoes. Anyway, they look great, and I'm happy with them now. I posted some pictures in the Ankle Boot Appreciation thread.

--Andre

Four months...good God...................
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads