1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Advice on my first bespoke suit. Is there something wrong?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Maxim KS, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Maxim KS

Maxim KS Member

Hello gentlemen,

First of all, I would like to say that this is my first post on this forum, but I quite often use Styleforum as a trusted source of information on men's garments. I would like to ask for your advice on my first bespoke suit.

The case is that three months ago I ordered a bespoke suit and I was many times disappointment with the tailoring process. When I had the first fitting, the trousers were broader and longer than they should be, the jacket wasn't ready at that time. When I had the second fitting, I realized that the trousers were shorter and narrower than they should be. The jacket had the left shoulder longer than the right, and the right sleeve was wrongly sewn. Of course, the tailor promised me to correct all these mistakes, but he has lost my trust due to his unprofessionalism. I am still not sure that the whole process of tailoring of the suit has done correctly and professionally.

Due to this reason, I would like to ask for your evaluation and advice concerning the suit. How well has it sewn? Does it need any alternations? Are there any mistakes?

Any your opinion or advice will be useful for me. Thank you in advance for your time and advice!

My best regards,
    Maxim KS 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

2. johng70

johng70 Senior Member

Suit jacket seems to fit well and the pants as well - except they are too long. There should be a simple break not as much as seen here. I'm also not sure but in some of the photos it looks like the left sleeve shows more of shirt than right. Most people aren't symmetrical (because of how pants sit on my hips, my pant legs aren't the same length so I need to make sure the tailor marks them both not just one). Also, another note - don't button the bottom button of the vest

3. Maxim KS

Maxim KS Member

John, thank you for comments, they are very helpful, I appreciate it. May I ask you a few questions?
    1. What is your opinion concerning the upper part of the jacket's shoulders, there are small gathers because of the roundness of my shoulders. Is it acceptable or there can be done something better?
    2. Is the sleeves length is right?
    3. By your experience, how often do similar mistakes happen when a when person tailor a bespoke suit? Is it measuring or tailoring mistake?
    And, thank you for the vest, I didn't know it before)

4. toplel

toplel Senior Member

Either your not wearing a belt or the pants are too long. IDK about the rest.

5. Maxim KS

Maxim KS Member

Toplel, thank you for your comment, I appreciate it. Yes, I was without a belt, and the pants are wider than they should be.

6. Tim Beasley

Tim Beasley Member

Hi Maxim,
    I love the color you chose.
    I am in this business and I won't be super critical here. However, there are a few things you can do to fix some of your fit discrepancies with this new suit.

Jacket
    The width of your sleeves appears to be a bit too large for you. Even the circumference of the cuff. You can easily have this altered by having the tailor take in the inside seam of your sleeve.

Trousers
    I'm assuming you were a runner at one time based on your stance. You could definitely have your tailor "Take In" the thigh and all the way down the end leg of your trousers about 1 inch total for a slimmer look. Definitely reevaluate the length as well, as the break is rather full. Additionally, to eliminate the breaking of the trousers behind your thighs, have the tailor " Take Up" the back rise of your trousers to eliminate this. Have the tailor pin it first to make sure you are comfortable with the fit before proceeding.

Hope this helps.

7. Edward Hyde

Edward Hyde Member

Jacket appears to be pulling at the button & therefore is too tight, trousers a shade too long. For the rest I will defer to the professionals on here.
    No comment re the colour, it is your suit & must be your taste.

8. Maxim KS

Maxim KS Member

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your comments, advice and the compliment concerning the suit color. I like it too, the suit fabric is from Lanificio Cerruti, 130S, lightweight and thin with a tiny herringbone pattern.

Thank for your advice concerning the jacket and trousers, I will take it into account.

Edward Hyde, thank you for your opinion and comments.

9. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Senior Member

I think the jacket and vest are too tight as well (but just a little), the side vents should fall against the rear of the jacket when it is buttoned and should not protrude. Pants are definitely too long. Both of these are easy fixes. It seems like the sleeves of the jacket might have too much volume. This is not a big deal, the suit is lovely, but figured I'd critique everything, however minor. Shoulders look really good, color looks great, lapels look good, overall appearance is good. Honestly it's a very nice and tasteful suit, with a few alterations you can take it from "nice" to "excellent." Enjoy it!

10. Maxim KS

Maxim KS Member

Joe Schmoe, thank you for your opinion and advice, it was interesting to read it!