Advice on improving my style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jeff Costello, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

Order the trim fit in the trousers. The reason that pockets bulge out is that you need a larger waist size. You can have no fat on your body but the hip bones sometimes determine your proper waist size so fit the hips and pockets won't bulge. If waist seems loose then take that in but don't get a smaller waist sized trousers.

2. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

Order the trim fit in the trousers. The reason that pockets bulge out is that you need a larger waist size. You can have no fat on your body but the hip bones sometimes determine your proper waist size so fit the hips and pockets won't bulge. If waist seems loose then take that in but don't get a smaller waist sized trousers.

Try to avoid anything that needs alterations and just find a brand and cut that suits you. Levis makes some good twill trousers either in the 505 or the slimmer 514.

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11622258&&cp=3146842.3146854.3691981.12007555

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11622253&&cp=3146842.3146854.3691994.3195585

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

quite frankly, it seems like you are buying random items without a plan of how/when/with what you want to wear them. I would start with basics, such as a navy blazer that fits well, and some brooks brothers chinos. it seems like you have quite a lot of clothing, but without much definition or specificity to how you are going to use them.

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I'm afraid I concur with the earlier posters who said that you you're a 22-year-old college student trying to dress like a middle-aged man. I'm not saying you should look like every other college student, and I am not going to tell you how you 'should' look or tell you to acquire the SF MC uniform (if you do want this, then Quadcammer's post above is for you - I agree on the sense of random purchases, BTW), but at the moment you look, for want of a better word, incongruous and a bit uncomfortable. If you want to do suits and tailoring at this age, my advice would be to go a bit sharper - slightly shorter jackets, slimmer trousers etc. (look at Patrick Booth's, or timotune's fits on here). Suit Supply seems to be the best option right now in terms of value-for-money MTM suiting - New York, Chicago and soon, DC.

5. Essential

Essential Senior member

SuitSupply MTM in NY starts at $899 so it might not be the best.

6. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

You should just try to be yourself and wear what feels right since you're still young. I didn't develop my style until I was in my late 20s.

7. edawsey

edawsey Member

I agree that at 22 you might want to focus on your casual attire a little bit more right now aka jeans, polos, shorts, casual button downs. but if youre deterined to build this side of your wordrobe i have a few suggestions. 1) if you want shoes to wear with khakis or dress pants, try cole haan's. you can get them for around $120 at dillards or try aldo for shoes you can wear with a suit. I know aldo isnt ideal for dress shoes but if youre on a budget its a good option. every now and then they have a pair or 2 that would be acceptable with a suit but be careful bc they have some awful stuff in there too 2) if you want nicer shirts to wear with suit or dress pants, go to brooks brothers outlet if there is an outlet mall anywhere near you bc itll be worth the drive. you can get 2 dress shirts for $120 but make sure you get the slim fit since youre skinny. i have to get that one too bc if i dont then the shirts are way too baggy 3) if you want slimmer fitting khakis, go to polos website or just go to belk. they have slimmer fitting khakis that arent too tight for around $60 i think as far as casual dress goes, 1) try j crew for casual button downs and t shirts. button downs are around $60 and i would definitely check the sale section for those and t shirts 2) for more casual but still presentable shoes, go on ebay and search for cole haan driving shoes, they will be comfortable and stylish and extremely versatile. i wear them with jeans or shorts and to anywhere from the movies to the park to going out to a bar 3)for polos and shorts at a decent price, once again check with polo or brooks brothers, but polo will be a little cheaper and definitely look on ebay if youre on a budget 4) i respect a good hat collection, but be careful as to what you pair it with or it could come off as a joke to others even though you clearly take your hats very seriously haha........ Lastly, if you want a better fitting suit on a budget ($359) go to indochino.com it wont be the very best quality but its made to measure so it will fit you better than anything that you get off the rack I hope this helps! as a recent college grad, i know what its like to be on a budget, so just keep an eye out for sales and be patient bc you can always get what you want for a decent price if you get it at the right time.

8. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I can't really agree with any of the above.

Cole haans or worse, aldo, are a waste of money. You will drop the $120 on them now, and want to get rid of them in a year, after you realize that they aren't up to snuff. Allen Edmunds can be found new or nearly new for $150 on ebay, and as just recently occurred, you can get 2 for $200. This is simply a way better way to go.

Brooks outlets can be good, or you can end up with 346 line stuff, which is lower quality, at which point CT or TM lewin would be a much better choice.

Belk chinos for $60, or brooks brothers for $90...your call there, but i know which I'm getting.

Finally, indochino is fine, but unless you are an experienced measurer, you will likely screw up somewhere and end up with a terribly fitting suit. Look at the big indochino thread and you'll see that bad fits are just as common, if not more common, than good fits out of the box.

I think you need a plan here.

9. edawsey

edawsey Member

belk sells polo chinos which is what im referring to, and if you get quality cole haans, they will last a long time and look just as good as any other shoe at that pricce point but everyone has a different personal prefernce as far as shoes go(aka style, fit, comfortability, etc.) and if you dont mind wearing used shoes then allen edmunds on ebay are a good choice or if you can find new ones on sale but personal preference, i would never buy used shoes. the 346 line isnt the best quality but its good enough for someone in college. all of the things that i listed are tailored for someone with a college budget, and allow him to be able stock his closet much sooner than having to save up for a longer period of time to spend $150 on each item he wants. it all depends on if you want good quality but not the best and have it now, and still look good, or if you want to wait an extended period of time to buy one thing at a time. ideally he could get the top quality of everyting but that takes money, or time to save money. and i agree 100% about indochino but ive also read that if its messed up then they are happy to fix it. i have heard much better reviews about thick as thieves but that will bump up the price also.

10. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

I've never thought of this but I think my pants have the same problem. Thanks for the insight.

11. tacobender

tacobender Senior member

I can't seem to scream it loud enough. There is no way this a 22 year old. You look 38. Quad's statement is dead on. You seem to just be buying things to have a part of some sort of collection. Don't wind up on hoarders describing your "treasures" to people. Most of the advice given here is legit. You want a more mature/cleaner more tailored look in school? Banana Republic, JCrew have to have something that isn't garbage, reasonably priced, fits your body. Figure on sale they are probably even more reasonably priced so that on your college budget you can look good and still go out and have fun...

Allen Edmonds makes a reasonable shoe that can be had at a nordstom rack type place for a good deal...

12. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Seems a bit on the reserved and formal side for your age, although that might be the look you are going after? Didn't read all the posts but would hit the gym and get the clothes tailored to fit the improved physique :D

I also think dressing up is okay but the style you are wearing looks very conservative, the suit looks like a sack suit for example. Would go for slightly more fashion forward cuts and fits if I were in your shoes.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  13. BFBFB

BFBFB Well-Known Member

This^

You're 22, not 52.

Honestly, you most likely won't figure out your personal "style" until your mid to late 20's

Now is the time to take some risks, check out seasonal trends(throw in some bright color, "slim" cuts, etc) + mix and match until you find your style.

You should be dressing MUCH younger than what I saw in the pics(a few of the pieces remind me of Forrest Gump)

I'm in my 30's and you appear to dress 20 years older than I do(this is not a good thing)

Also, I'm not really sure what women or men your are going to think about a 22 year old kid in a Fedora(I don't care what "traditionalists" think.) - DITCH IT.

If you're still hell bent on purchasing a bunch of swag to build a "look":

- Blazer from H & M that's inexpensive -- get it tailored
    - A decent pair of dark designer jeans
    - A solid pair of wingtips(AE/Magnanni)
    - POSSIBLY a pair of double monks or Slip ons in Brown(AE neumora comes to mind)
    - Canvas shoes for summer(white)
    - White long sleeve button down(H & M)
    - A slim pair of chinos --- Don't be afraid of color.

This is a small list that I came up with in 2 minutes but it's a solid base that you can mix polos, V neck tees and pretty much everything else with.

Best of luck!

14. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

My best advice to you, is to find a great tailor and become BFF's with him/her...You can work with all your clothes you have and get the leather jackets tailor, the paints tailored, and so forth. Your world of clothing fashion and style will change once you find a tailor you are very close with and work with regularly. Just remember, 75% of clothing items you purchase require tailoring to maximize its appearance.

15. Dib

Dib Senior member

+1

The outfits you have posted remind me of what middle age men who no longer really care about clothes tend to wear - that's unfortunate and ironic given the above posts clearly indicate you are giving a great deal of thought to your outfits and wardrobe. The individual pieces are pretty bland, don't fit particularly well and generally look quite old fashioned (and not in a cool, vintage inspired, type of way).

As others have noted, you seem to be buying random things (largely because they are cheap and not because they fit well or look nice). Whilst I can completely appreciate this is because you are on a budget, the result is a series of outfits which lack any overall sense of style or direction.

I note you mention you are going for a 1960's type of look. My honest advice is that this will end up looking too contrived and costumey (and a little bit weird at your age).

As some of the earlier posters have mentioned, there are a whole host of places where you can go which are in your budget to find things which will fit better, look more age appropriate and generally give you a more polished overall appearance (Gap, H&M, J Crew etc). Whilst the quality won't be amazing, at your age people are still experimenting and finding their style and so it makes sense to shop for more affordable items at this stage.

Another thing which you may find useful is to browse the internet and magazines to find pictures of outfits/looks that you like, and then focus on buying key staple pieces from these outfits (e.g. a slim pair of chinos, a slim pair of jeans, a fitted blazer etc etc) focussing on items that you can mix and match with each other.

Good luck with your efforts!