• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on hopsack suit for upcoming wedding

rosem

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I want to get some feedback on this Richard James hopsack suit I picked up recently.

It's hopsack, which I understand is a summer/warm weather material, but the jacket is fully lined. Will it look out of place at a wedding this coming weekend (8/515)? It's suppose to be warm (80's), but the ceremony isn't until evening. It will be more of a non-traditional ceremony. It's downtown Chicago.

It's at the tailor now, just finished the first fitting. I have many other suits, but I just picked this one up and would like to wear it.

White double cuffed shirt to dress it up a little more.

I was thinking of getting a brighter silk tie to go with it (3.5").

I'm about 6', maybe 6'1" on a good day and about 185lbs. Somewhat muscular build (large shoulders). Most of my ties are 3" or 3.25"

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
Just do a search on Navy Hopsack Suit on this forum, then decide...

rosem

Reaction score
I read through that post — yikes!

Fortunately I'm not too worried about it looking too casual as the wedding is going to be somewhat casual and full of more artist types than accountants and lawyers. I also very much like the style of the suit. I have another RJ suit in the same cut.

I think my question is more of if it's going to look silly wearing on a 80+ degree day. I know hopsack is suppose to be a summer material, but it appears to be somewhat thick and is fully lined. I don't want to be wearing something that is considered spring or fall on a hot summer day.

Same cut from our wedding just a month ago — Single button, but no peak lapels on this one.
bigstar[1].gif
'

Thanks!
Mike

rosem

Reaction score
I've had a few people say too that it's more melange than hopsack due to the tight knit on it — even though it was labeled as hopsack by RJ. I'm leaning towards that it's probably to heavy for summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads