Advice on high-end sandals

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jon_k, Oct 7, 2007.

1. jon_k

jon_k New Member

Ok I'm looking for a pair of top notch sandals, and I have no problem with dropping some serious money on them. I live in NYC so I know there are some great places to buy them at, but the problem is I have no clue who some of the top shoemakers in this city are.

I basically want them to: feel good, look good, and last a long time. ie I want quality craftsmanship that will last a lifetime, not some cheap junk that that will break in four months.

I did some research and JM Weston makes some nice looking sandals, but who else? Maybe I could have them custom made. Is there such a thing as bespoke sandals?

Thanks.

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I have more than a dozen pairs of sandals. Mephisto Sharks are the most comfortable sandals on the market. Not particularly elegant but when one wears sandals it's all about the pedicure. [​IMG]

I would also recommend Gurkee sandals for lounging about; very comfortable.

3. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

I've heard good things about Jutta Neumann. And about ten years ago, when I wore such things, I had her make me a few wristbands. They were extremely well made and she even fixed one that I had some problems with. They'll work with you to create what you want.

http://www.juttaneumann-newyork.com/...l_product.html

There are also some RL sandals on sale for $110, marked down from $300. I've had several pairs from RL and they hold up pretty well:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

[​IMG]

4. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I have a few pair of Stefanobi and they've held up well. But, I don't think sandals are the sorts of things that will ever "last a lifetime" without being repaired. There just isn't much substance there to keep them from falling apart if you wear them a lot.

5. xchen

xchen Senior member

When it came to me I went with some Chaco sandals. I got them in a more rugged model of rubber sole and cloth webbing, but they are not cheap quality at all. You can get the men's Andale which has a rubber sole, leather footbed, and leather straps for $115.

However, I bought mine for their utility (I love their look as well), so they aren't really much of a fashion statement, but they will last ages.

[​IMG]

6. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

7. ahk10

ahk10 Member

gotta go mephisto.
    I have two pairs. perfect.

8. jon_k

jon_k New Member

These $1,800 sandals are on sale now (but only in sizes 9 and 9.5 [​IMG] ) : http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family
    Ok now that's what I'm talking about. Nice, quality, alligator leather. And I'm assuming if they did break, I could get something like that repaired at a shoesmith? Unfortunately, I'm a 10.5.

9. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Try Bottega Veneta.

But I think you're a bit out of season to get sandals now.

10. jon_k

jon_k New Member

Try Bottega Veneta.

But I think you're a bit out of season to get sandals now.

The last pair I got just broke on me, and I'm just fed up with cheap sandals. Plus now would be a great time to buy them because they'd be on sale.

11. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

$550 Bottega Veneta sandals are cheap and broke?

Well I don't know of any designer boutiques or dept stores that still have S/S merchandise. It's all been sold off or sent to the outlets.

12. jon_k

jon_k New Member

$550 Bottega Veneta sandals are cheap and broke?

Well I don't know of any designer boutiques or dept stores that still have S/S merchandise. It's all been sold off or sent to the outlets.

No, I didn't mean I got some Bottega Veneta sandals, I just meant that my previous pair broke and that's why I'm looking for new ones.

I'll check some places out. I also asked a friend of mine who is in modeling, and he says he knows some russian guy who makes the shoes for most of the broadway shoes. Maybe I could get a croc leather shoe custom made from him. Jutta Neumann also looks nice, I'll give her a try too.

13. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Paul Smith

14. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I'm not really sure why you're all about going the bespoke route for sandals. There are TONS of great makers out there that will be just as good. Sandals are sandals and from constant wear are going to fall apart sooner than regular shoes... there isn't just a lot there to go into them to justify paying a premium price for "bespoke" or expecting them to last "a lifetime." My cheap $15 Clark sandals fell apart after wearing them all summer; my $300 Loewe sandals are heading down that route, too, even though they're very well made. It's just that there isn't much there to hold together.

From cheapies to the best, they are all going to be a few pieces of leather glued and sewed onto a footbed. Yes, some will be better than others, but it's not the same differences as a pair of shoes from Payless vs. Edward Green.

As Socal said, it's a bit out of season now and so your search is going to be more difficult, but if you head over to Bergdorf's, Barneys, etc. during season, they'll have dozens of makers at all price points for you to try out and see what you like. I think you'll see that at the top-end there really isn't all that much difference in terms of how they are put together. The differences will be mostly cosmetic.

Finally, BV is an excellent suggestion... they're relaxed, luxurious, well made, but still stylish enough to be dressed up or down.

It sounds as though perhaps your experience with this is limited, but the selection of sandals to be had is immense. It's not just "crap or bespoke," in between the two are many, many things that will be certain to fit your needs/desires/budget.

15. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

+1 on the mephisto. definitely can't beat them for comfort.